Thursday, January 11, 2007

Rainy Dayz School

Happy Thursday! I just finished my first week of second semester! It'd been in the 80s alll week until today, which is dark and cold and windy, and walking home I might have smelled rain. Also, today I woke up untired, and it was bizarre.

So now I've been through all my classes at least once, and most twice. They're all long and longer classes, though, which is pretty intense. But I do get Homework!Fridays, and this week I get a Four Day Fun Weekend.

MONDAY/WEDNESDAY:

CERAMICS 1:05-3:50 MW
Ceramics at first scared me, 'cause she expects us to put a lot of extra time into things, and she's going to be grading partially on skill. But, having spent six hours playing with clay, I can see that I'm going to like it a lot. First we made some stamps (out of clay, to make designs in clay) but those weren't dry enough to be fired in time for us to use them yesterday...so the mug I made has stars on it instead of the Planism guy. It looks pretty good. Also made a bowl, and started on a sort of other thing that's like two bowls put together to make a hollow shape. Dunno what I'm going to do with that. Next week we're going to be introduced to the potter's wheel. The only sad thing is that I had to buy a kit and extra tools because the lab fee only covers the clay, basically. But I can make as much stuff as I want, basically at any time I want, if there's not a class in there. I'll make you all pretty things.

MEDIA CRITICISM AND THEORY 4:20-7:20 W
Or, Media Theory and Crit, as the prof likes to think of it. I'm not excited about this class, because it's small and hideously long, and so far pretty boring. But Megan Moorhouse is my class buddy, and that only helps because Wednesday is also poker night, and I win change.

TUESDAY/THURSDAY

LIFE & TEACHINGS OF JESUS 9:45-11:10 T/R
My Tuesday/Thursdays are the same time schedule as last semester, but no 8 AM lab on Thurs. This class I was looking forward to, but the prof is...a little bland. He's very proffy. But he's also intriguing at the same time so I dunno. Megan is also my class buddy here. Today we had a quiz....on the syllabus. But it turns out it didn't matter, so whatever. It looks like we're going to learn a lot, but it's based on our simply reading/responding to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Well. I guess that's the only way to teach about Jesus. Hm. It should be good.

FILM & LITERATURE 1:05-2:30 TR LAB 7:30-10:30 M
Sorta was looking forward to/intimidated by this class, and by now I see that it'll be good. The lab, there, is just for "screenings" of movies, of which we'll only see about six, so it's not every week. The prof is youngish and fun, and she's a little techy. I'd forgotten that it was an ENGL class and not a CBA or COMM class. The result of this is that it's not a "film" class or a "literature" class--she's taking us through some literature, some film, showing how both work and how they relate to each other, and especially how comedic theory works in both. Right now we're reading the Odyssey, which is a comedy because it's not a tragedy.

JAPANESE 2 2:45-4:10 TR
Same time. New teacher, new building. The other two classes today are on West, but they're the only ones. So I have to jet from film&lit back over here to Japanese, but the trip home from there is quite the walk in the park. The new prof is Michelle Yoko Lin. She's Japanese, grew up in China, studied in Japan, studied in LA where she met her Chinese husband, and ended up here. Her accent is harder than Shikata-sensei's, but she's certainly fluent. And she's actually a college-age teacher (Shikata-sensei had only taught English to kids before) and is currently teaching Chinese at Mount Sac as well. So I think it's easier to learn from her. And she's younger, too, so easier to relate to. Apparently we went too fast last semester, and are a chapter ahead, so she's going to take it slower and have more review so we don't run out of things to learn. I like that idea.

So I just end up having cramped evenings. But I'll have Homework!Friday, so I think it'll balance out. It seems that I won't have a lot of homework, just for reading. Reading in everything. And everyone wants 10 page papers and presentations. Grrrrrr. I'd rather have homework.

It's been a long week, for only four days. On Tuesday I was already ready for it to be over. I seriously thought it was Friday or something. But now it's Thursday! And I get to watch TV without worry! And anytime now I'll head out to yummy dinner! And I have the bottom bunk now, and that's excellent! And Alex is trying to relight the pilot light in our heater so yay!

The crazies are singing about gray squirrels, so I must run away. In fear.

-Steph

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can make me lots of somethings! Ainsley has been practicing writing her name in Japanese. And she has letters to send you all. And she taped the paper you made her to the door. But she is also practicing her french every day, so she might not have time to learn Japanese as fast, she says. Who do you have for life and teachings? And hooray for the bottom bunk! When is the end of your semester? Because the wedding that I am shooting is having their reception on the Trinity lawn, but I think it is the week after school gets out. The girls miss you and say hello. Its cold and was snowing here AGAIN today. And all weekend. And the high today was 4 degrees and felt like -11 or something like that. And K said the lexus says it was 7 degrees when he left work only it might have been lying. Well, I hope you had a nice Homework Friday! Love you!!

Stephanie Anderson said...

heOk, I will!

I should scan and send you/her a copy of the practice writing sheets I got. I promised I'd write her a letter of my own.

Dr. Tim Robbins. Ever have him?

Semester ends at...around May 5th? I think? Are you coming to CA, then?

Snow! It snowed in Valencia and other places yesterday! Rained everywhere else. You all stay warm, k?

See you ...eventually!