Thursday, February 19, 2009

Adventuretime

Happy Thursday! I'm crazy sleepy and have like six HIMYMs loaded, so this will likely be short.

Laaaaaast weekend I trucked out to A-town and had a fun fun time with the ol' roomies. We did fun things like drive nowhere and turn around and come back! We went to A'float in Pasadena (dude, guys, we didn't make it to Famima!!) and to Circuit City (MIMYM seasons one AND two for like $40), and to CVS a bunch, and to the cheap theater to see PUSH (more on that later) and then we watched an entire disc of HIMYM.

AND ON SUNDAY. We all woke up at one, and we went to breakfast at the new Greek place by the cheap theater. We got baklava! And we took it to the secretive park which we had never seen in the daylight. It was eerily quiet there. And then we were going to walk along the river trail but we got distracted by the canyon and ended up driving super far up into it. We could see the snowmountains really well. I put my hand in a creek! It was freezing. We also gazed upon antelope-like jeeps playing down in the river. A bird tried to kill a man.

Then we went to Baskin Robbins. Then we. Then we watched some UGLY BETTY? And after that, RUN, FATBOY, RUN. It was a cute movie. Not the Pegg's best, but still awfully cute. And then I went home? No wait. Somewhere in there we also went to Barnes & Noble because I also ended up buying STARGATE on blu-ray for ten bucks, and a Glenn Miller cd to keep me awake on the drive home.

I didn't take any pictures, but the others did, so maybe those exist. It was super fun, and I wish I had the gas money to do that all the time. I went and picked up my last check from the Blockbuster there, and that basically covered what I spent over the weekend. Oh well.

See you all again soon!

Today I woke up super early (8:30) and went to the harbor with Carolyn. Drove, didn't walk. She had to go look at the Channel Islands museum thing for school. We saw island foxes and a golden eagle and starfish and echidnaporcupinepincushion sea urchins. I can't remember what those are called for the life of me. Only the last two were still alive. Then we went to Andria's but it wasn't open yet so we walked around the Harbor Village a few times and said hi to Josh, and then we had fishandchips. Fosh and Chops. A little girl literally put her face to the window and stared creepily at Carolyn for a while, which was hilarious. Then we went to my house and looked at trailers on my PS3.

Then she had to go to school and I had to go to work.

Work was crazy empty the last two days. Not much else to say about it.

Now for the Media Circus.

DEJA VU
One of those movies on my list from Sci-Fi class, not because it was assigned but because we met the guy who wrote it. That was the day I presented on BLADERUNNER and said I hated it, and was going to feel really bad when the presenter got up and told us all the things he loved it for--only the presenter was Bill Marsilli and he hated it, too. And his movie had more going for it than I had thought--it was initially a movie with a fixed timeline, and the device (narrative, not scientific) presented to explain the altered timeline was new to me and I mostly accepted it. Also Val Kilmer ftw.

GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK
There was so much in this movie that I loved with my mind but not with my heart. It was a clinically good piece, but it didn't incite passionate response in me. I want to love it. I should love it. There's nothing in either concept or execution I can find fault in. I just. I don't know. It's a good movie. It's a beautiful movie. It's an important movie. I'm glad I saw it. It just didn't move me.

BSG
Aphasia is a disorder with just the right amount of dramatic flair. The actor challenged with delivering the "word salad" lines has just cemented himself in my book of people I respect. But what's going to happen next?! I want to know more. I give them one thumbs up and one thumbs down for their rewriting an unknown history to fill in a plot hole. Their resolution makes sense but it's obvious that it's a cover up, not a self-standing piece of the puzzle. Thumbs sideways for that.

CHUCK
Poor kid. Doesn't he know that if he wins, the show's over? I love how it's up to him to save the day nowadays. I saw Zachary Levi online again, but I didn't talk to him.

HEROES
What is UP with this show. Do I even care any more? What even happened this week? Hiro and Ando got in a fight about nothing that was resolved by nothing. Bennet was trying to be a good dad. OMG he's soooo evil. Claire was a jerk. Moira Kelly should not have been so easily convinced--when someone held against her will breaks free and injures someone in her attempt to escape, wouldn't you blame the captors for putting her in that position? Nooo of course you'd immediately understand that EVERY PERSON must be similarly rounded up and imprisoned so that something like that never happens again. Faulty reasoning, ur doin it rite.

LOST
Not quite so exciting this week. Also somewhat...well, it left me feeling cheated since they forgot to set up their mysteries. They deliberately withheld information, but not in a mysterious way, just in a "I didn't think you needed to know this" way. Which was somewhat disappointing. I assume that they'll eventually tell us what happened, but they didn't promise to. A minor fail. Butwhathappensnext?! We already have theories and I'm pretty sure I'm right.

HIMYM
Finally finished season three. wewt. Britney Spears was in some episodes, and she was absolutely delightful. No joke! NPH FTW as always, and that guy who plays Ted it so completely adorable when he smiles. I'm excited to start season four, so I'll go do that now!

See you all again at another time!
(aka I'm very tired and you're just lucky any of this is spelled correctly)
-Steph

Aw, man, I was actually looking at this again and I realize that I didn't talk about PUSH.

Well, there's not much to say. Worse than JUMPER? I don't know, maybe comparable. The overarching problem was the inability of the writer to pare out the non-essentials--too much was introduced too quickly. The second problem is that the writer never learned to structure a screenplay. There's a sequence maybe forty minutes in where I leaned over and said, "wait, are we in act 3 now?" Unfortunately, we still had the second half of the movie to go. The third problem was characters as three-dimensional as a weak coat of white-wash, and the last was awkward casting. Plusses? The effects weren't laughable--except for when they were. Dakoto with guns was cute. I can't think of anything else that was worthwhile.

Later on, for reals this time.

No comments: