Thursday, February 26, 2009

Everyone's Birthday is Today

Happy Thursday! And a Happy Thursday Birthday to Megan and Jennifer (and Ryan, the random guy who messaged me on Facebook a half hour ago)!! I hope today was as fantastic as you'd always dreamt it would be. Fantasticer, even. Fantasticker. A Fanta Sticker. Great!

So in my Media Circus last week I totally forgot to even mention that DOLLHOUSE is now on. Third episode is tomorrow! But I've only seen the first and I won't be able to catch the third on the tv. If it were a really great show, that would bother me. But really, I wasn't won over by the pilot. I hope it doesn't end up like FRINGE and I just forget to ever watch it again. That would just be sad.

Didn't catch BSG on tv last week, either, and when I tried to watch it on my mom's computer, I killed it with evil internet viruses. Oops. Sorry. It's fine now. But I wouldn't say that episode was absolutely worth it. Helo wasn't even in it.

HSM3 is out on DVD. Gave that puppy a rent. A classic example of something I cannot physically sit through without lampooning, yet I not-so-secretly love every moment. Huh! I want to see it again.

The DEAD LIKE ME movie, on the other hand, was not particularly worthwhile. Due to scheduling conflicts, they wrote out one character and recast -- I repeat RECAST - what year is this, 1994???? -- another, and that was just the start of its failures. Honestly, if I was in charge, I would have waited. Better wait than to resort to that. Better make no movie at all. The other major fault was the tv-esque writing. Characters didn't play scenes so much as vignettes. And sure, in a season worth of consecutive episodes maybe you don't want to give too much away all at once. But they seemed to go at this as if maybe there would be more--not giving us enough in the limited time they had for sure. Too loose, too inconsequential. Not as poignant or impacting as the show was at all. Like a cheap caricature of itself. Color me disappointed.

CHUCK didn't have me enthralled this week, and I found myself flipping between it and HIMYM during the second half. I don't know what's going to happen when the latter starts putting out new content in a couple weeks and the two have to throw down. Don't make me choose! Or, this is a warning, CHUCK. Your nemesis is riding over the horizon as we speak.

HEROES. That show is lucky that Jack Coleman is attractive enough to run a whole episode. Especially in grayscale. There wasn't a single frame of Sylar, which would have been a fantastic Fail if it hadn't have been for the compensating Bennet time. HEROES, your challenge is to not to become a SMALLVILLE for me. But even if you do, that'd be enough reason for me to keep watching.

LOST? Very interesting. My mom hates Ben. She's all "and you think he's a good guy?!" To which I replied, "No. Of course he isn't." No offense, Mom, but bad characters can be likable, too. He's the most three-dimensional character out there at the moment, and I admire him for his multi of facets. They write him right and that guy (Michael? Michael Emerson is it?) plays him perfectly. What's he gonna do next? How much of what he's saying is the truth? YOU NEVER KNOW. That's why he's so cool.

OFFICE. Old. Watched it anyway.

30 ROCK. I like Kenneth. I don't know if he meant to refer to Liz as "it," but I laughed anyway.

YOUTUBE.
Jacksfilms
Toby Turner
The latter appeals to me more, over all, but I think Jack has just as much of a chance to make something of himself in the real world.

Okay, twenty minutes until tomorrow. Oh, today!

Today I drove over to Carolyn's house and on the way I stopped at a red light. In the lane next to me was Steven and his buddies. "HEY. HEY." I said to them.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Your house," I said.

And then we all watched a RIDICULOUS episode of the old Spider-Man cartoon and they played Street Fighter IV for like five minutes. And then we played some LPB, and then I had to pick my mom up from school.

Oh yeah. We drove to Camarillo to go to the Vans outlet, but they didn't have the right size. LOL they informed us there was a Vans store in the mall which is like two minutes away from my house. On the way there, there was a loud impact sound. Dunno what that was! We made it to the mall and then to the Vans store and then to the Old Navy store and then to the cookie store and when we revisited our car, the tire was flat. Oops! So we walked across the street to where my dad happened to be parked at the church, stole his car, drove to my mom's school to pick up my car, go back to the church and park my dad's car in a different spot, and then drive home in my car. I think the withered husk of the van is still forgotten at the top of the parking structure.

I also just started writing a HIMYM spec, and can anyone tell me if there is or is not a tree in front of MacLaren's? Concurrently, I am writing a story for Beth which involves Sylar and I can't tell you much more. This weekend I am going back to A-town to help Megan do her shooty shoot film, and I will see everyone AGAIN. But not Brianna, she has better things to do. But hopefully Sam, because I didn't see him last time.

Okay. Thursday is drawing to a close. I had better post this sucker. The whoooole internet was out for a while yesterday. I'm glad today is not yesterday.

-Steph

No comments: