Thursday, October 14, 2010

Epoch Round Two

Happy Thursday! Weather update real quick. So it was cold and wintry all summer, right? And then September comes along and it's like, heat wave city. Then that ended and I thought it was all over. But October has surprised me, it's been nicer than summer ever was. But it does crazy things, like be in the 70s, then the fog rolls in, then the night is clear, then the next day starts foggy and clear up to like, rain clouds, then the day after that looks like rain clouds and then gets hot and then the fog rolls in.

Last night I saw the fog swirling around the door outside of work, I could see the fog particles. But by my house an hour later it was just regular fog. Today was dark but not cold. I guess I'm just surprised that winter didn't jump right in like I thought it would. It's great.

It is pretty dark pretty early, now, though, so walking to guitar class is in pitch darkness, whereas two weeks ago it was sunset.

When he went around and had us play the chord sequence we'd been practicing, he told me to play it stronger (typical timid me), so I was strumming and strumming for the next hour so my buddy didn't really have the chance to chatter. It's sort of shocking how fast an hour goes by when you're just playing seven chords over and over. Next week we're going to be playing the melody and the chords for Camptown Races, in partners. That's the idea, but I'll be paired with 9-year-old, who spends his time in this class the same way I spent my time in Orchestra, which is to say, it wasn't his idea to be there.

Oh yes, the roster this week. Eleven of us. Me, 9-year-old, Overzealous Mom, Dad, Youth Group Girl, Confused Dad, Middleschooler, College Guitar, Talkative Uncle, Youth Group Guy, and Thinks She Can Play.

But even with this hour and a half of practice every week, I can see some improvement. What I was playing today was G B7 C G A7 D7 G. Last week I was only just playing the one on the list right before this, G C D7 G, G and C being the hardest for me so far. So this time I learned B7 from scratch, and kept at G and C, and I was doing preeeeetty well by the end of the hour. I felt encouraged.

9-year-old asked me if I played any other instruments so I played him a bit of the bass blues line, and he liked that. The funniest movie he's ever seen is Killers, and the first dance is next Thursday from 3:00 to 4:00 (so he'll be making it to class), his favorite color is purple, and he only has like twenty minutes a day to do his homework.

Did I tell you I got some more pumpkins? When was that? Since the first pie, me and my mom went back and got some more pumpkins. One to carve, one to cook, three to serve stew in. My mom told the guy I made the best pie with his pumpkin last time, so he gave us two more to make some more pies and bring him one.

With one little pumpkin, like, 6 inches or so, I got two cups of pumpkin goo. The recipe wants three, but it still turned out okay. I used only one can of evaporated milk and only two eggs. Made enough for one full pie (which is promised to Jacqi) and today I used the rest (less than half) to make 12 mini pies in a muffin tin. Used one batch of the best dough (1 cup flour, 1 stick butter, 4 oz [half a pack] cream cheese). Now I need to make so many more mini pies. They're so cute and so hand-holdable.

This pumpkin pie recipe I'm using, I just googled "homemade pumpkin pie" and clicked the first link, which is how I find anything on the internet. Happens that the recipe is from pickyourown.org, which is also the site I'd been looking at in the summer about pickling. Small world. Use that recipe! The page is a little unwieldy, but once you get the idea you can work on your own. Now that I'm a pumpkin pro, I'm just referring to it for the spice quantities and the baking time/temp. Training wheels.

Next imma bake some apples. The holiday season really brings out the baker in me, shoot.

Oh, so. November is like, any day now. Or two weeks. I'm gearing up for continuing(/finishing?) my novel I started for NaNoWriMo last year. Haven't written A WORD for it since December 1st hahahahaha. But I been thinking and thinking and now that I'm sorta will I/won't I/will I about this year's challenge, I've been solidifying a lot of thoughts into what I hope will be another 50,000 words.

Wish me luck!

And a happy happy Thursday Birthday to Melody, who is SEVEN today! Woooo!

-Steph

No comments: