Thursday, September 06, 2012

Thursy

Happy Thursday!  It's a sleepy sort of day, isn't it?  Or is it just me.  Then again, most days are sleepy to me.  I'm going to bed in 20 minutes, I promise!

My game's still coming along, although progress has slowed right on down.  Lazy me.  But also the new season of Doctor Who premiered over the weekend and sort of shuttered out any other hobby or interest.  It was a pretty disappointing episode, as far as season starters go.  I mean, I laughed, I cried, and then I got mad about all the plot inconsistencies and senseless character developments. 

I mean.  If a marriage-ending issue could be sorted out with one brief conversation, I think that conversation would have been had already.  And don't get me started on the dalek. 

Doctor Who, everyone!  You should watch it!!

Today in class while I was reinstalling Windows, I listened to a BBC radio production of Slaughterhouse Five.  It was good!  That's a book I need to read again, as well.  I don't know how much I was into time travel or this sort of thing before/as I read it (must have been summer reading before ... 11th grade.  I wrote a paper on it for Cotsis.), but listening to it I was all "yeah! yeah! that's how time is!"  And it wasn't even like I needed convincing or had to figure out what he was talking about.  I genuinely believe that every moment of time ever just IS, like pages in a book.  In our lives, we may be in chapter four, chapter eight, whatever, but someone who has the finished book can look back at any chapter and know precisely what has happened and what is to come. 

Because, if you look at history, if you look at yesterday, even, you know it rained and then it got muggy.  But you don't know if tomorrow it's going to rain or be muggy or be hot or snow.  But the day after, you will know, because you lived through it.  So right now, our "future" is just a future you's past.  There's only one way that things happen(ed).

I think that this viewpoint gets people in a huff when they start about free will or whatever.  Well yes.  Think about any book you've read.  Characters are making choices right and left, because they don't know what's going to happen to them in the next chapter.  But it doesn't mean that you can't go back to page 626 and read about them making the same decision at the same time for the same reasons.  That page will always be the same.  But since we experience time in the manner that we do, we tend to think about it linearly as well. 

Okay, man, I didn't mean to get this all sci-fi meta on you.  It's too late at night for that.  Next time let's discuss deja vue.  In the meantime, watch 12 Monkeys.  Okay break.

-Steph

No comments: