Thursday, February 28, 2008

Whirlwind in a Bottle

Happy Thursday! And what a happy one it is. For example, I just finished my paper that's due in 20 minutes. What's not to be happy about? Also, Azusa just did one of those snap season things, where it's hailing one day and pushing 90 the next. I enjoy it when it's pushing 90 with no warning at all, although now I can't wear my layer Ts.

So last weekend I was on the new set! I slated it, which means I'm the one who holds that clappy board (it's called a slate--I assume like from the old days with chalk) and yell out what scene and take it is, and then I drop the clapper and run away quick and be quiet. Have to keep track of all that stuff, collaborate with the scrip supervisor and the sound guys, make sure we're all on the same page, as it where. Next time I want to try sound. It's a real role and it's not too hard. Hard enough, they insisted, but honestly, it's not that hard.

I also ended up being in a shot, but I can't act so they're probably worse off for it. Gonna help out again after class tomorrow, and that’s supposed to go pretty late. But nothing Saturday. And Sunday (or Saturday?) I’m going home to the Dentist. Boo. (Also, suddenly no class Tuesday, so coming back then?)

So it’s a leap year tomorrow. That’s pretty cool.

I finally and successfully exported my movie today! That is, I made a movie file of it that includes the effects, music AND is the full length of the film. Didn’t that just take forever. Made DVDs. Anyone want one? Gonna have a screening in….I dunno. Gotta find the time. Finished my script for the next one but we don’t actually shoot for another few weeks, so there’s time to prepare.

I need to tell you about how Brianna is awesome at Tetris. The other day I stood there and watched her play for 40 minutes. 39:00, if you want to get technical. She had a glorious factory of boxes up the side….I had left early on and came back later, and it was still there—but then they were all gold. In the end, it totaled over 2000 lines. My high score is like in the 18 hundreds? (Just want you to know that at this precise moment of writing, she again has a factory of four gold boxes up the side) So I entirely expect her to never again lose OR get less than 1000 a game. Hear that? I mean it.

Yesterday I took a break from battling editing technology to go to a crazy Japanese/seafood buffet. It was…insanely overpriced. But I tried some new things and that’s always good? Don’t think I’m going back.

Just now:
Me: What else happened this week?
Beth: Oh yeah, it’s Thursday.
Me: Uh, yeah, that’s why I keep saying Happy Thursday to you.

OH. We saw Jumper on Monday. I have many thoughts on the topic, which I keep having to share with anyone who doesn’t look busy. It was exactly what I expected—not great. But. After the stilted and rather incoherent writing of the first hour, it finishes out the last half hour with much excitement and fun. The jumping effect became very cool as they started using it in more advanced ways, and Hayden didn’t butcher the role like all the reviews say. The biggest fault is the non-existent writing. Opening credits said it was based on a book, so right after I went out and bought it…..but it was about the same in terms of quality. Actually a little more boring. But the two complement each other…though in the end I have to say that I like the movie better and actually expect to see it again. So I recommend it if you don’t have high standards and want to kill an hour and a half. I don’t so highly recommend the book, unless you’re a huge sci-fi fan and are about 14.

Hahah, Brianna just lost to Beth, at 96 to 130 or so.

The title of this post refers to the fact that I felt immensely pressured to do all SORTS of assignments and didn’t feel like I had enough time to do them. But of course I did, so everything rather calmly got done. Like right now? I don’t have to do homework until some reading notes are due next Thursday. And I even have a class tomorrow.

Oh, the other exciting thing this week was that I bought a Batman movie (cartoon), had a two-in-one Batman movies (cartoon) bought for me for my birthday, and we watched the former right after seeing Batman Begins the other day. Guys, I just love Batman. If you ever want to get me something, get me some Batman. I’ll take it all.

-Stephanie

No comments: