Thursday, April 10, 2008

Catchin' Zorpas and Smashin' Pandas

Happy Thursday! Once again you find me in my comfortable study, typing away on my own computer, martini in one hand, cigar in the—wait. No. I’m not using my own computer. I’m in the computer lab again! As of Tuesday, “they” needed my computer for another “week” as there seemed to be just “one” “virus” left on it. I don’t know if that’s estimated or determined time, but it seems a little lengthy to me. They said I could have it for homework and bring it back for them to work on it, but I knew I’d just end up keeping it as is. The computer lab is fine. Going home and not having any internet to doodle on for the rest of the day is a little odd. I have all sorts of free time. Like for...

Video games! Tossed in Final Fantasy IV in a fit of desperation, and blew through at least half of it. I had 11 hours on it and now I have 24. Now I’m leveling up to fight stupid Rubicant, but he hits for like 2000 and even Kain only has like 2200 HP total. Grrrrrrr. I chose IV over XII or KH because I knew I would only be level grinding in those....but now I guess the boat’s the same for all.

The other game getting a lot of facetime in my house is Pokemon Snap, courtesy of Brianna. She’s beaten it already, but now she’s trying to get the best pictures of the Pokemon and it’s getting ridiculous. The game is about taking picture of Pokemon, if that wasn’t clear. But several amazingly funny things have come about because of it:

Legend of the Zorpa

We were shooting for Ink-Man when Brianna happened to say, “OH, I figured out how to take a better picture of the Zorpa!”

Zorpa?!” we say. There is no Pokemon whose name even resembles “Zorpa.” “That’s a Greek woman!” Sam exclaims. “Do you mean Zapdos?” we suggest.

Yes, it must be Zapdos.

A funny side-incident is later that day, we’ve separated to change out of costumes and are reassembling to go to lunch. I’m playing ball in the court when Sam shows back up. “Guess who’s playin’ Snap,” I say to him, nodding over to Brianna through the open door of my apartment.

“Guess who’s catchin’ Zorpas!” Sam replies enthusiastically. I start laughing so much that I kick the ball straight into my own face. Also highly amusing, although it does sting for a while.

The next day we’re back shooting again when suddenly she announces, “I got a picture of Megatron!” This is too much. Only Brianna can catch a picture of Megatron in Pokemon Snap. As we laugh about it, she says, “what is it from, then, X-Men?”

What Pokemon does she mean this time? “I mean Geodude—“ WHAT. Not even similar sounding—“NO, I mean Magneton.” Okay, that at least sounds like Megatron, but still, where did Geodude come from?

NO! But I laugh and run away because I can’t take it. But she thinks I nod because later she asks “What X-Men is Megatron?” Oh, dear girl.

But the best part about the Zorpa came later, when I was watching her play. “Look,” she says, “this is how I get the Zorpas.” I look up, but am confused because Zapdos isn’t in this level….. “There’s the Zorpa!” And behold! She never meant Zapdos all along!

It was the Lapras.

The end.

So the shoot was fun. Very hectic on Saturday because we had a lot to do and not a lot of time, and some lost time and some set-up issues, but we did get it all. Sigh. Now it’s time to edit! Director’s cut due Tuesday, picture lock Thursday. Then edit sound; effects, narration. Then it’s done and time to screen it?! Everyone is welcome—it’s April 25 (Friday) at some time in the evening. The day before that is the department screening of the upper level production classes and the Capstones and such. The sitcom is showing. I still need to wrangle a copy of that. That screening is in a theater in Pasadena, and it costs money to go to it. Oooh, fancy.

Other things we done this week:

Thoroughly Modern Millie!! Went with Beth and Brianna and Sam (our film crew is very hangy-outy) and it was fantastic. Like, unspeakably good. I’d never seen it before in any capacity, but a few of my group had, and apparently it was just as good as Broadway. Like, to the point where I hadn’t realized our theater department could be so good. It’s playing this weekend and like next week I think, so if you can get to see it, DO IT. If I have time I’m certainly seeing it again.

In all our free time, we’ve also been “playing ball.” I recently bought a cheap plastic bat + whiffle ball and a big blue bouncy ball, so we run out into the court and kick it around. Uhhh, and last night we watched Disturbia, which I suddenly wanted to see because Aaron Yoo from 21 was in it, and it was written by the guy who wrote Red Eye, which I enjoyed. Disturbia....kinda an utter failure. It got to the point where I was laughing, “the skeleton grabbed him!” Mmmm, a winner.

The other thing that we occupy our hours with is creating euphemisms for doing drugs. It started with “dropping juice” because I think Beth had a jar of juice and she was insisting that she needed to drop it. Then while at Panda Express, I was telling her to smash the stuffed panda that was in the cup in front of the register, and “smashing pandas” sounded like a good drug, too. And just yesterday we came up with “taking loops,” because that’s what Beth was doing…in the parking lot. We then decided that loops are an upper, pandas are a sedative, and juice is hallucinogenic.

Half of my term papers are over and done with, and it turns out one of the four is actually just an outline. The last is on an art guy, and I just emailed him a bunch of questions. Other than that, all I have left this year is Ink-Man and passing finals. Yay! So that’s what I’m gonna do.

I’m supposed to find a clip from High School Musical to show in class today, to illustrate my thesis for my paper. I don’t have the movie, so I’m about to go to youtube. Other than that, today I’m going to edit a bit with Kelly (our mid-day class was cancelled), and after class me and Sam might “find/save the king!” (play FFIV) and then THE OFFICE IS NEW AGAIN YAY EVERYBODY DANCE. And next season they’re premiering some sort of Office spin-off in the time slot right after it. I bet that’ll be interesting.

Okay, so that’s my mass-media filled week. OH WAIT. I wanted to tell you about Morning Becomes Eclectic, my favorite radio show. It’s on in the mornings on the public station, and it plays all this indy stuff that apparently is exactly my taste in music that I didn’t know I had. It’s just like catching your weekly tv show, but it’s everyday and you get to walk to class whilst enjoying it.

-Steph

No comments: