Thursday, July 17, 2008

I choose you, Batman!

Happy Thursday! This has been a really slow week! I've basically just looked at lolcats and played Pokemon. Very strange.

On Saturday, though, my aunt and uncle came down from Goleta and we had a fun barbecue. I made couscous! They brought their little dog Bentley, and he did not make friends with Donnie. We also made a cake that Josh and Michelle failed to frost, and so we ended up covering the failure with tea lights and pretty flowers. The adults were rather impressed.

Sunday Josh went home, but I went to Carolyn's for pho and Wall-E and playing at the arcade. They all were good. It was a long day. I wish I had more to say about Wall-E, but as far as stories go, it doesn't really hold up to Pixar's past (and that's besides the fact that it's also an ecology movie, which never really settle right with me). The graphics are singularly outstanding, don't get me wrong, and you should definitely see it, but I wouldn't say it's the best thing they've every done, not on the whole.

I pulled out this bucket from my closet which holds a segment of my childhood--I was looking for Star Wars Racer for the Gameboy, to see if it was a game I wanted to sell. Oh, it definitely is. Along with it, though, I found Pokemons Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Crystal, the very backbone of my middle years. I wanted to play one! I popped in Yellow, to see what I had been doing at the time, maybe I could erase it and start over? Oh, but no, I was seemingly in the middle of raising starter Pokemon to ridiculous levels without evolving them. Too precious an endeavor to rewrite. Gold, Crystal...I remember restarting Crystal a while ago, but I never even got the first badge because things were so complicated and not interesting. I really wanted to play something old school.

I snapped Blue into my berry pink Gameboy Color, not to restart it--no, Pokemon Blue is the first RPG I ever beat, my first Pokemon was Bulba the Bulbasaur (and Ivysaur, and Venasaur), and my first Pokemon to reach level 100 was my Persian Meowsy because it knew payday which got me money every battle. That game was stuffed as full with nostalgia as any Christmas turkey--I was just going to look and what I had done, maybe listen to the corrupted music files in my League scores entry. OH WAIT. DATA FILE DESTROYED my Gameboy tells me happily. I mourn my lost childhood for about 15 seconds before I choose New Game.

I started with a Charmander this time, named him Bade. Before we went to dinner today, I taught my Sandshrew Wolverine CUT, so now I can get into all those secret places. Also have a Golbat named Batman, and a Magikarp named Sub-Mariner ('cause you know it's gonna be a Gyrados someday!) and I'm hoping to eventually have a DC team and a Marvel team. Ohohohoh my Geekdoms collide.

I also got a Piplup card from Burger King. Yes, in my Big Kids' Meal. Here's some trivia for you--it was actually Pokemon which converted me from McDonald's to Burger King all those years ago, when their toys were those Pokeballs with the Pokemons inside, I still have my two Koffings, Eevee, Electabuzz, and Pikachu from then. Right there in the same box.

Yeah, other than that, lolcats. Icanhascheezburger.com. Gotta get Donnie to wear the little sombrero long enough to get a pic of him.

Michelle's going back to Seattle tomorrow, but I have to work so I don't get to go on the LA adventure that will ensue. While she packed today, I sat in the hallway outside her room with my Zune and the big ol' speakers my bro got me a while back, and DJ'd. While, of course, raising my Pokemans. Oops, I think I left them there, right where everyone's going to trip all over them.

YEAH ALRIGHT. IT'S LATE NOW AND IT'S TIME TO WATCH TV. HAPPY THURSDAY TO US ALL.

-Stephanie!

No comments: