Thursday, January 22, 2009

Coming up with a new title every week is harder than you might imagine

Happy Thursday! A hearty Happy Thursday to each one of my Thursday friends, individually. You can pay me later.

These weeks are very similar to each other. I guess it was last Friday that I finished up the last of BSG that I hadn't seen, all set in time for the season premiere that night. Since then I've re-seen season three and half of 4.0, with my mom. As of this evening she's all caught up to watch tomorrow's new episode. I've also seen every additional video on the scifi.com page and read a healthy dose of fic. Will I write my own? Nah. Oh wait, I already did. Oops.

So that's the drill. Pack in BSG around work, like sea-damp sand around rocks. To build a strong base for the sand castle. Work is the foundation upon which I build my castle of BSG. That's actually kind of accurate. I don't know what I'm gonna do when I get a real job and have to give up my free rentals. That's like an extra hundred bucks a month in perks.

There aren't any other memories strong enough to ascend from the blurry soup that is my visualization of this last week. And the memories themselves are supposed to look like withered translucent specters with empty eyes and hooked claw-hands and bodies that fade to shreds of ectoplasm that whip around like the torn ends of some ancient ballgown. And the soup is swirling, a blur of course, made up of the composite goo from which these ghouls tear free. There are, in an inexplicable yet necessary manner, giant hunks of potato mixed throughout.

If I focus really hard, I get images of going for walks. Ah. Day before last was a lovely summer day, and I went out to some thrift stores and ended up at Old Navy. Oh well. Thrifting because there are two within walking distance and I needed a destination, and also because I'm getting a head start on when I go to Comic Con this summer and cosplay a Viper pilot. Believe it.

And today it was post-rainy, and I went down to the bank to deposit my checks I finally picked up. I also listened to some podcasts on screenwriting, which I believe I've mentioned before. They are like mini classes, but free and entertaining. And then today I was going to watch some scary movies in the middle of the day, but I got distracted and ended up playing Oblivion for the rest of the day. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

I still have to watch LOST tonight!!! Stupid thing about work is that now they've started scheduling me in the nights, right over pretty much every tv I watch. Which wasn't a problem over the hiatus, but now I'm feeling myself lucky to get off work tomorrow at 9:30 and get home to watch BSG at 10.

I also spent a good portion of some days.....yesterday and today? Day before last and yesterday? playing The Movies! a PC game my brother got me for Christmas. It's like the Sims but you have to run a movie studio to glory. It's all kinds of addictive. And they make some pretty ridiculous movies, and you can share them online. It oddly felt like something I should be doing, to further my career.

I would impart another writing-based musing for this week, but I don't think that sort of thing is really targeting my audience. Also because the one I've been thinking about is long and turns out to be a question that I don't think you can answer. It has to do with forming a premise (as defined by Lajos Egri), and what that means in a multi-story format like television. What I really need are books on writing for television. There's so much I don't know.

OH. OFFICE was random tonight, but I liked 30 ROCK. I like what the latter does in the area of human moments that aren't raucous or strange--just poignant. I mean, within context. Liz saying to Jack, "uh doi" isn't poignant at all, but this show finds the way to make it that way. The OFFICE debate plot I found adorable but distant. Like a poor man's "Office Olympics" which managed to be 4/5s random hilarity and 1/5 pure heart, which was something tonight's episode didn't quite reach.

I'm out. The Island is waiting for me.

-Steph

No comments: