Thursday, March 04, 2010

Amp'd

Happy Thursday! My dad brought me home the amp he found a month ago! Used, they had to hold onto it a month for business reasons, but it was only $45 so I'd say it was worth it. Looking at new amps in the store, I've seen little guys, probably a fourth the size, for three times the price. A win win for all. Except for maybe the neighbors.

This week I learned the twelve-bar blues, which is a musical pattern that "the blues" is played by. Along with it, then, came George Harrison's "For You Blue." Progress!

Also picked up a beginner's bass book, like, teaching hand position and how to read music, together with theory and style and technique and basically everything I don't know.

ALSO picked up a songwriting book, which holds many secrets. So the band will be up and running in no time.

SUBJECT CHANGE.

Alright. Some of you (I mean the general you; civilization at large) are jerks. You come in here and you don't listen and get angry about things that no one can change, probably things we warned you about the first time you didn't listen. If it gets to the point where you say "you've just lost my business," I can't imagine how you think that is any sort of substantial threat. If it gets to that point, 99% of the time it's because you're being a whiny idiot, and, honestly, frankly, and truly, the loss of your "business" is more like a loss of the disruption you cause every time you come in, so I can only see it as a win-win. You are simply more trouble than you're worth.

Now if you're having legitimate troubles, then we'll help you as best we can, and I'm sorry things are not going your way.

In other news, the rental policies of a certain world wide entertainment rental/retail store has changed. Five dollars. Five days. If you don't bring it back in time, there's another dollar for every day you keep it. (For the following ten days. Then it sells and if you want to keep it you only have to account for the retail price. Bring it back in the next 30 days for a refund of the sale price but minus the accrued $10. Twenty days past the due date the refund is store credit only)

Plz to be bringing movies back on time. My counter argument to your "but what about no late fees?!" is not the company-sanctioned "they're not late fees; it is an additional daily rate" but this instead: THAT MOVIE IS NOT YOURS AND OTHER PEOPLE WANT TO RENT IT. THERE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN DUE DATES BUT SINCE YOU'RE WHINY WE'VE LET YOU KEEP THEM FOR A VERY LONG TIME. NOW YOU ONLY HAVE A LITTLE TIME. BE RESPONSIBLE. IT'S YOUR MONEY.

On my side of the counter, it's usually lose-lose. People complain about not having enough time--when something's checked out for a long time, people who want it actually have said "don't you call them?!" I MEAN SERIOUSLY. It's not OUR fault that people don't bring things back. It's YOUR responsibility. The new rental terms are just there to remind you of that fact.

If we called everybody who had something out late....... The list of things that are out 4-8 days late is six pages long. (Though in fact an automated call does go out before it sells. People still don't get it.)

My least favorite customer actually pretended to slap me when I pointed out that all of that title was rented out. Like it was MY fault that either eight people got there earlier or that the company only felt like sending eight copies.

And sheesh, that's why we're informing you of the change--if it's not something you want to deal with, it's not like we're forcing you to rent here. Threatening me with taking your business elsewhere isn't going to get corporate to change its mind. Seriously. You people.

I can't wait until Sunday, when the things start coming back with the dollar on them. So many people are going to say "but nobody told me!" Trust me, somebody told you. You just weren't listening. I promise that you just weren't listening.

Okay that's my rant. It's been a long week. I'm going to go to sleep.

-Steph

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie -

You had me on the floor laghing my sides out! That was your best short story EVER!

(Was there some basis in reality?)

Dad

Stephanie Anderson said...

I sort of don't know what you mean. That IS my reality.