Thursday, May 06, 2010

MDMB

Happy Thursday! I’m sitting in the parking lot on West Campus!! In my car, not anywhere skeevy. Beth is here; this is her computer. I was going to use the computer lab, as per usual, but Beth said the Dead Sea Scrolls were in there.

“What, it’s not like they took the computers out and installed scrolls,” I said.

“You’d be surprised,” said she.

So here we are. CSN&Y is playing gently on the stereo, there’s a best of Clapton album waiting in Beth’s car, we screened the demo of our song for Megan, and it seemed to go okay. Oh hey. Have I told you?

You know how I said that me and Beth are in a band? MDMB? Minor Delta Major Bravo? Well we are. And not just in a “lol a band” sense, I mean we’re writing a song and playing it and recording it and making it sound wonderful. And by wonderful I mean legitimately legit. When it’s polished it’ll go up on youtube etc.

In the meantime you can become a fan of our page on Facebook. Just search MDMB, or go to one of our profiles. Be caught up on all our latest news!

And not like this is suddenly our careers and we’re going to get signed and make a million dollars as rockstars. But we have instruments and we are putting them to use. And for three month old musicians, we don’t sound half band. You probs don’t believe me, but you’ll see. Not like we’re out to turn the music industry on its head, but I think our output is a lot better than you might expect from us.

At least, I hope you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

I wrote the lyrics late one morning, scanned and emailed them to Beth. A while later, she sends me a demo she recorded on her computer, putting a melody and chords behind it. It was shockingly good. So I added a bass part and sent it back and so on and so forth, both of us adding something or changing something and generally furthering the recording process. And never once were we in the same room together! We are now, though, and we’ll probably play through it live, which will be fun. But overall, this song writing process is pretty entertaining. I can’t wait to do more.

So Megan moved to Glendale, and I had two days off, so that’s why I’m here. Yesterday we drove around Glendale and saw her apartment and then we went to Pasadena and found Beth and went to A’float. And then we went back to get my car from Megan’s, and in order to get out of her parking spot, I literally did a 15-point turn. It was the funniest event of ever.

Then I crashed at Beth’s where we laughed ourselves to sleep. And we wrote our next song, the B side of our first single. Look for it!

Today we drove some more and had some coffee and Beth had TWO finals. And Megan got stuck in traffic for ever. But then we looked at Ikea and went to Legends, which is like mandatory.

So that’s about it. Song writing and socializing. Quite a bit of driving. Yes! Maybe we’ll world-premiere our song next Thursday??

-Steph

No comments: