Thursday, September 02, 2010

Eyy Thursday

Happy Thursday! Can you believe it's Thursday again? I can.

This week has seen me near the end of my Jagger biography, watch about 14 dozen youtube videos of the Stones, comment on a customer's awesome Stones shirt, dust off my blues harmonica book, and sign up for guitar lessons. And I wrote some blues lyrics for MDMB.

At the thrift store, the magical one that always has what you're looking for, I discovered treasure. A Beach Boys double LP, a greatest hits, I'm sure, in pristine condition. Not even a scratch, and I mean, have you ever seen a record in a thrift store before? This was like, brand new. For a buck ninety!!! !!!!! That's like 12 dollars in savings, say from what it would be in a dusty old record store. I was thrilled.

Next to it I dug out a handful of singles: Clapton's I Shot the Sheriff, B side Give Me Strength; Joan Jett & the Blackhearts' I Love Rock 'N Roll, B side You Don't Know What You've Got; and Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son, B side Questions of My Childhood. 50 cents apiece.

Whuttafind.

That day was actually all around sweet. I parked downtown and then walked all the way up and back, stopping in at the thrift stores, the druggie music store, up to the library (Gimme Shelter and No Direction Home, Stones and Dylan concert/documentaries, respectively), outside of which a homeless man dug my Starfleet shirt, and then down to Rocket Fizz where I got a cherries 'n mint soda. And it was sunny out and generally lovely.

In the thrift stores I was looking for some more pairs of gray jeans and/or corduroys. Them's my fave now. I've also got my eye out for a corduroy jacket? That or a denim jacket that I can spray paint MDMB on the back. Gotta get my gig outfit together, you know.

Let's see, I'll put it this way. The Beatles made me interested in learning music again (specifically the bass); the Rolling Stones have made me interested in being a rock star. Now I'm not saying I'm going to BE a rock star, but there's a fanning of the flames about this little band of ours, about seriously writing songs and playing songs. I would like to be a good bassist. I would like to be able to play guitar. And blues harmonica. Why can't I? So I will.

Gonna go watch Gimme Shelter. Peace out.

-Steph

No comments: