Thursday, October 12, 2006

Is it just me, or is it fall?


Happy Thursday and Happy Autumn Time! I spent yesterday messing around in photoshop instead of doing things productive...and ended up with an oddly festive, seasonally-appropriate thing!

Remember in the summer when I had nothing to write about for weeks on end? And now I spend the whole post talking about a single day? Yeah, I blame that on Vons.

Oh, speaking of prolificacy (looked that one up, so I didn't end up putting "prolitivery"), Dr. Esselstrom likes my movie idea. He also says to start writing the novel, and I'm prone to agree with him. ^^;; Which is too bad, because my mind came up with it specifically to make a movie from, and I wanted to try and get away from book-writing. Not that it would make a bad movie--it'd just make a better book.

Funny thing is, I actually *have* already started writing the novel, so to speak. The only thing I have written for it (asides from pages of notes, and outlines, and treatments) is a half-page chapter. Here, I'll show it off:


A silhouette of a solitary traveler flickers in the shifting desert heat. Gradually, the terrain changes under his boots, the flat sands mounding and forming oddly shaped piles. And these grow as his goes on, until rubble and broken stone formations protrude from the earth. The sand has not had time enough to cover these, too.

The frames in the middle of the town have survived the best. Some hollow structures still retain the image of a house or shop. But there is none that hasn't been mostly destroyed by something before the sand crept in. The wooden ones have fallen as if in fire; and the masonry looks like it was blown apart.

There is a statue that stands in what was once the center of town. It is now cracked and disfigured, tinted orange with a coat of fine dust, and the calm pool it once stood in has filled with sand. This is where the traveler's boots bring him. Here at his destination he removes his large concealing hat, revealing himself to be a green-eyed young man. The tattered edges of his cape whip around his legs as he stands in front of that equally battered statue.

He looks up, squinting against the harsh sun. The statue ignores him, staring instead off into the distance, serene and lifeless. Too much like the desert itself. He raises a hand to touch the old stone, but stops just before his fingers reach the dusty surface.

"I'm sorry," he says to the statue. The statue doesn't hear him.




I hope that intrigues you! So that you will go see the movie when it comes to a theater near you.

Nothing of great outstanding interest has happened this week, but it's all been good. Spent a class period behind a studio camera today--have I mentioned how much my major rocks?

Mm, because I'm a sucker for romance, I really want to play FFX again, and I'm sad that I only own X-2. Not a satisfying ending, unless you're an ULTRAGAMER. Also, I really really want the FFX-2 soundtrack. And, FFXII. ....Christmas is coming up soon, right?

Happy Birthdays! Melody and Michelle are aging over the weekend! Sadly not on Thursdays, but hey, no one's perfect.

Carolyn's visiting me over the weekend, too! But not aging. Well, maybe aging. Just a little bit. I'd say about two or three days' worth.

Whaaaaaaaaaat else. The Office tonight. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Jim and Pam. And Grey's Anatomy, which I'm finding is more and more like my first impression--not really that amazing a show. I think it has a good deal to do with "McDreamy" being one of the worst looking people I've ever seen on TV, and Meredith being an idiot. I like George.

And Sawyer. I like Sawyer from Lost. And Ben? TOTALLY creeps me out. Ew. And Sayid? or, Naveen Andrews? That's a great actor. Because his character--he knows what's going on when other people don't, but he plays at going along with things when he's planning something completely different, and you can tell! Maybe it would be better to the character to be completely believable when he's plotting, but in any case it's some mindboggling acting work. Wow, that had nothing to do with anything.

Maa, na. Owatta.

-Steph

No comments: