Thursday, July 26, 2007

I know, I know, I'm late again

Happy Thursday! Happy Awful Thursday, in fact. You see, every Thursday's been pretty happy for about three, four years now. But where does all that awful go, after the happy squeezes it out of the day? I'll tell you where. That awful goes into a savings account, where it accumulates. Then, one day, it pours all out and creates on Awful Thursday. I'd say one Awful Thursday every three years is worth the price of having one Happy Thursday each week.

I hope today wasn't too traumatic for you all. Without warning and such.

Today I read a whole book. The Painted Word, by Tom Wolfe. He described the progression of Modern Art, and I thought it was interesting enough. His tone and attitude towards the subject was rather "irreverent" (as pointed out in the cover review), and his style was what made it worth it. Real funny, at times.

Then I went to Carolyn's house! And we played Starcraft, because Starcraft is fun, and we haven't played in forever. And then we went to the park and played some croquet. She did a speech on it in her class, so now she's all pro at it. I, however, am not. We played with Steven and his buddy. We also used the swings and the general store and the fire dept and tried not to fall in the lava.

Hey, I never told you about her picnic thing LAST week, where we played on the train what goes to Suremik, and also met Paco. Paco had some really sweet Pokemon cards, and we played a rendition of the game that consisted of him handing us some cards, and us slapping them down on the floor of the play equipment, and him shouting, "I win!" and taking all the cards back. It was real fun. We also made up a whooooole story about the volleyball players, who (according to us) are a local gang running all the small businesses, and also doing cloning experiments. It was great fun.

Did I tell you I saw Die Hard and/or Transformers? I have. Die Hard was better. Like, way better. Transformers wasn't bad...it just wasn't good. Die Hard, on the other hand, was actually a movie. With Mac. Whose name was Matt. Huh. And, as I pointed out to my parents in a pseudo-intellectual way, the inclusion of bumbling geeky hacker boy as a crucial back-up to brawny everymans hero McClane is a sign of the changing concept of strength and ability to prevail over evil. Whereas McClane has had no trouble previously in shooting things up and generally beating his way to victory, the new generation demands not only subtlety but technological know-how in order to put the villain in his place.

Been writing some, lately. Kinda started a thing called Radio Silence, one of those massively thought-out epic stories that I'll never write. The other thing is that I'm gradually anthropomorphizing the Solar System. Setting up the characters as based on the planets' relation in space, and then giving them personalities, histories, and conflicts inspired by their mythological counterparts. So far I'm just doing Pluto and Charon, who are suddenly beset by Nix and Hydra moving in with them. In space, Pluto and Charon are dwarf planets that share a barycenter outside of either mass (Charon is not Pluto's moon because it does not revolve around Pluto; they revolve together around a separate point), and Nix and Hydra do revolve around both of them. In mythology, Pluto (Hades) is lord of the Underworld, Charon ferrys the dead across the river Acheron, Nyx is his mother and embodiment of darkness, and Hydra is the multi-headed lizard creature what guards the Underworld. As you can see, Wikipedia is making me a crazy person. But it's so much fun to write.

I get this from the Griffith Observatory, which recently reopened. We visited it ....last...Saturday. I was woken and told I needed to be ready to leave within the hour, and then I was stole away to Hollywood. It was really neat, I want to go back and absorb more. I've always liked space (Thanks, Star Trek), and especially Pluto. I share a bond with Pluto since I invented Ryan Toronto, who, as an outlaw, lurks around my own futuristic Pluto. BUT, at the Observatory, the Pluto display kept calling Charon Pluto's "companion," and that's what got the whole creative work rolling. There was also a movie hosted by Leonard Nimoy in the Leonard Nimoy Event Horizon Theater, in which his wife says that this new theater is better for necking in than the planetarium theater.

I hope you enjoyed today's letter, despite the Awfulness that surrounded everything today. I'd been getting complaints about how sparse I've been writing these lately, and so perhaps I won't get so much flak about this one. I'll try not to put it off to the last minute...anymore. ^^? We'll see, anyhow.

-Steph

No comments: