Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lobster Week

Happy Thursday! Lobster week is a lot like Shark Week, but it's a lot tastier. I never told you about my sign language show.

So one morning (really, it was the afternoon), I happened upon a show called Signing Time. Like a kid's show that teaches Spanish and reading, but instead it was for sign language. That day I learned all kinds of fun things, like "boots," and "outside," and "hat," and "silly."

And then it disappeared. I've only caught it maybe once since then. It reviewed for me the letters, and the numbers. AND THEN. I was taught the most wonderful signs: "crab," and "lobster." Crab is hard to explain, but I'll teach you lobster.

Both hands palm up. Then make like the peace sign (or two, or a V), and then snap 'em. Lobster.

And then lobsters have been everywhere. All the time I see lobsters, and then get to sign it compulsively. Lobsters on Good Eats, lobsters on that Wamu commercial, lobsters on that fake laptop in the model house. It's crazy. Megan, my last-year roommate, concocted a good plan for all the lobsters I encounter:

LOBSTERAIDE

- 1 cup finely chopped lobster tails
- 3 tbs. parsley
- 2 cups lemon juice
- 1 cup diced lobster claws
- 3 tsp salt
- 4 cups water

serves 4

Haven't tried it yet, but One Day, I assure you, One Day.

Just been hanging out this last week. In my garden? I have a cucumber vine plant? And this monster cucumber is about ready to be picked. Well. That sounded a lot more interesting before I wrote it. Also, there's a little green pepper which I hope will someday turn red. (like a lobster)

Seen movies. Gray Matters, Alfie, Constantine. Want to see Stardust. Coulda seen it, but I stayed home to watch Feasting on Asphalt 2, The River Run. This is Alton Brown, from Good Eats (you know, my favorite food show which I'm watching in twenty minutes) but he takes like a bike gang and travels America, sampling the native foods. Last summer he went from east coast to west; this season he's going up the Mississippi. It's a fascinating and great journey. Saturdays at nine. Food Network.

In the literary side of life, I just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I filched it out of my sister's room some weeks back, and was reading it bit by bit. But it got intense, you know, at the end, so I finished it. Tragic as all get out. Quite good.

I also had an eye exam and picked out new glasses. They're half frames, so they had to send them out to the shop to put all the special coats on them. I'll show you pictures when I get 'em.

But without 'em, my eyes tend to hurt. I don't know if it's because I'm using glasses that aren't quite the right prescription anymore. We'll see. But for now, I'mma wrap this up, so I don't have to look at it.

-Steph

No comments: