Thursday, May 22, 2008

Movie Mania!

Happy Thursday! I hope your days/week were well.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Eh, pretty bad. Not irrevocably so, but I don't really recommend it. Unless you're a big FF fan, specifically of Johnny Storm. He has a few worthy moments, even if it doesn't make much sense.

Elektra
Not half bad. I know I never saw it because Daredevil sucked so bad and this was purported to be worse. Untrue. It was pretty solid, ie, I didn't hate it. Plot was a little thin, and some of the acting was gag-worthy, but some of the action sequences made up for it. Garner really held her own, although I couldn't really tell if I was watching Elektra or Sydney Bristow.

Ghost Rider
Under any circumstances, do not watch.

Blades of Glory
Pretty run-of-the-mill for a Ferrell movie. Had some moments. Talladega Nights was better. Jenna Fischer was unexpectedly dull, although that may have been acting.

Superman Returns
Probably the best of the bunch. I think I remember hearing that it didn't do well/people didn't like it, but I wouldn't be able to tell you why either of things things would be true. Wasn't outstanding, no, but it was better than average--and I've found that most people like average. I don't follow Superman on principle, but there where a number of times where I really felt for the character, just based on my inherent background understanding of the guy. Routh was a pretty smashing Clark Kent, as well. James Marsden held his own as the third wheel (he's pretty much patented that role), but the rest of the casting was pretty weak. There were also some times where things ran long, but overall, it's pretty good.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
I would say that this is only meaningful to people who've played FFVII, but honestly I haven't, and it still packs a punch. Vague knowledge of the game is helpful/a must, so I don't really know how it stands on its own. That being said, I really love it and think it's amazing. Check out those graphics, man! The story may be incoherent, but it's Japanese and to be expected. I think they fit in some good emotional stuff in between all their snazzy technological fight sequences.

If you're wondering what I did with my week, I just told you.

-Stephanie

No comments: