Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hot Like Summer

Happy Thursday! Weather man says even hotter tomorrow! I can't wait! It's finally approaching appropriate summer temps, like the high 80s. There was even a fire today! I'm sitting at the table, looking at the beautiful clear blue sky through the nice green trees, and there is this brown cloud out over the mountains....definitely a brush fire over there! I think they got it under control because when we were out driving the sky totally cleared up.

So Jacqi and her special gentleman friend Greg visited for the weekend, so the gang partied it up. We thrifted, searched in the sand for very small rocks, barbecued at Carolyn's, the last of which included much Rock Banding. Also, stalking in grocery stores followed closely by chopping of vegetables.

The bad thing about summer is that I can't keep track of the days, and I can barely remember the events contained within them. Like an old retired person. Speaking of which, I got caught behind a tremendously old man on the main street, and we were clipping along at a brisk 20 mph. I loved it. You can expect that from me in a few years. You know, when I'm old.

The news just said that the feet found looked as if they had probably just naturally separated from the bodies. That's great.

Um, have you ever seen Moonlighting? A really good detective show from the 80s? Bruce Willis, Cybil Shepard. It's sorta amazing. The pilot is like a good movie. Bought season 1 and 2 at Fry's a while back for like $20, and I'm really glad for it. We watched it on tv a few years ago, 'cause it was on and my mom was all WOW I REMEMBER THIS IT'S GOOD. And she was right so it hooked us all. But then it drifted away and I forgot about it until I bought the dvds. It's very funny, and Bruce Willis has some priceless lines that are both iconic and very unique. Like, "And the plot thinnens," which is something I've always remembered from seeing that episode all those years ago.

I suppose I saw The Incredible Hulk this last weekend. Not gonna lie, my favorite part was the snazzy entrance of one Tony Stark, but the rest of the movie didn't disappoint, either. I wasn't crazy impressed--don't have any strong feelings towards the Hulk in the first place, and the film was written by Zak Penn (X2, Elektra, Fantastic Four, X-Men: The Last Stand--all movies I rate from mediocre-minus to downright shoddy). He's also slated to write both the Captain America movie and the Avengers movie, so I'm a decent amount worried for my Steve. UM back to Hulk, it certainly wasn't awful like Penn's previous works, but there were things that struck me wrong, and sequences that I took a deep dislike to. But the effects were good....? ...Edward Norton was good, but I never really bought him as Bruce Banner.

All in all, I think I like Ang Lee's better. Less action movie, more comic book. Better casting? Still good graphics. I don't care what anyone else says about it.

Out of the forthcoming Marvel movies, I'm honestly the most excited about Ant-Man (after the Iron Man sequel, of course), because it's being co-written and directed by Edgar Wright, who is my co-writing and directing hero. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, people, are two of the best-written movies I've EVER seen in my life, and I'd be lying if I didn't attribute some of my Ink-Man directorial techniques to Mr. Wright. (lulz, Mr. Wright) So yes, this is my endorsement for Ant-Man (and Shaun and Hot Fuzz and Spaced while I'm at it).

What else would you care to know? I played with Donnie a lot today, he really likes chasing plant fronds. When I was trimming the dead stems off of this plant of mine, he jumped right up into the bucket to fight it for me. I also gave him a dance, and I was right for wearing gloves while attempting it, because he did get bitey.

I also checked out a Raymond Chandler novel from the library today, and I kinda love it. It's good writing like I haven't read in a long while, and he'll throw out these zingy one liners that catch you off guard and make you actually laugh. Which I find intensely interesting, given that Chandler is one of the fathers of Noir. I think I will go back to reading soon.

I thought I was going to write about something else, but then I remembered that the book was actually the other thing I was going to write about. So alright, I'm a little older than I'd like to admit. But I've been putting the Brain Blend in my smoothies from Blenders, so maybe it's not too late to turn this dementia around!

-Steph

No comments: