Thursday, September 04, 2008

Last First Day of School....Ever.

Happy Thursday! Tonight's blog reaches you from the peaceful and lovely deck outside my living room, where I am lounging in my bean bag in a night of 76 degree weather and with the smell of charcoal coming from somewhere down below. I hear crickets and people laughing and shouting "Hallelujah!" I'm not even joking.

So I've been here a week! It seems like forever. Everyone's moved in and now classes have started and I feel like I've never left. It's very fun, hanging out and making weird faces at people and driving around and buying food and playing Guitar Hero and reading syllabi.

Last Friday I woke up super crazy early and went to training for Mail Services, my on-campus employer. Go to the city post office, pick up the mail, come back, sort the mail by campus, put sorted mail into bags, put bags into crates, put crates into the van and then drive around and deliver the new mail bags and pick up the out-going mail bags from each department. Return. Sort the mail again and then do it all again. It's not a bad job, but wandering around campus with an armload of mail in 90 degrees isn't ideal. Good thing my schedule is only 7:30-9:30, I'll only be there long enough to pick up and sort before class.

Saturday I also went in and worked blaaah.

Saturday night me and Megan trucked out to Squirrel Tree Park in Arcadia and caught a bus to the Hollywood Bowl. Except the bus broke down on the off-ramp....and then started again and turned the corner and broke down under the overpass. So we all had to flee the dead bus and commandeer no less than two other buses headed to the same place. Exciting.

We met my mom and dad there (who weren't overly pleased with me leaving the tickets in my apartment...but that was easily remedied at the ticket window), who had brought a cute picnic dinner which we juggled in our seats. There were sci-fi nerds everywhere because John Williams was conducting. His music is very good, and they also played some songs/clips from some musicals because Stanley Donen was guest...appearing. It was really great, and Williams came back out and did like three encores. He was impressed by the fleet of lightsaber-equipped Jedi in the rows in front of us. The weather was great and we made it back to our bus on time. It was sooo much fun.

I feel like something happened on Sunday, but I don't remember what. Same with Monday! Probably hung out a lot. Probably watched Spaced with Megan.

So Tuesday I worked again in the morning, but since I didn't have to leave for class they kept me for like FOREVER. But then I came back and played Wii Fit, because Brianna has it and it's fun. I don't think I logged on today, though. Beth's playing Guitar Hero, so I probably won't. XD Later we'll probably go exploring Crestview, though.

Tuesday was also a meeting+mixer for the TFT department, which was kinda boring but I did get to see some people I haven't seen. Sam was there, though, Theater kid he is, and he introduced me to all kinds of people. Pizza was involved. And through fate and bad luck and superstition, I'm destined to become a Theater major, despite my complaints that "I want to graduate!!"

Tuesday was also a meeting for our housing section, I don't know what they're calling it. It's not a court or hall.... That was extra boring, and they said we couldn't get a snake OR a praying mantis. Bleh.

So Wednesday was first chapel and my last first day of school evar!! Even though I only had the one class, and it got out early. So that was cool. Today was really really long, though. Let me tell you my schedule.

Mon/Weds
Senior Seminar - big paper to write, but over time.

Tues/Thurs
Acting Fundamentals - graded on effort, not skill!
Intermediate Screenwriting - focusing on tightening craft
Sci-Fi Films - Being geeks

Thurs
Sound Design - learning about sound in movies.

And then there's my Capstone, which doesn't have a set meeting time, but we're going to meet with him once a week. I still need to finish my script!!! But I've been having good discussions about it with Megan and Sam, so the first draft will probably not suck, even though I know it will still need to be reworked and fine tuned.

So right after class finally ended today, Beth and Megan swooped me up and we went to my favorite Pasadena where Beth bought on-sale art supplies and then we went to A'Float and Famima!! and the world became as bright and shiny as it's ever been. There's a lot of cool people in all of my classes, too, and I think this year's gonna be so great. Even though we already flooded the kitchen once by putting dish soap in the dishwasher. All I really need to do is find a ladder to put up my posters on the really high posters-wall.

-Steph

No comments: