Thursday, September 25, 2008

Premiere Week

Happy Thursday! It is just about 11 PM and I left for class at 1. It's been a long day. The first half of this post will be about my week, and the second half will be about Heroes. Just warning.

To start things off right, last Friday we had a party! Jake and Sam came over! We all played Mario Party and made a cake! You might have seen the pictures on Facebook. A grand time was had by all! Then we gathered around and watched Sam sleep. A grand time was had by all bar Sam.

Friday and Sunday I worked, and I'll go ahead and throw yesterday into the mix and say it's still boring. I like my old store better. This one is cramped and has odd priorities. They also make me work forever so that when I come home at 11:30 there's no parking and I have to park on West and walk back. :<

I probably did something on Saturday. Oh. We watched Heroes all weekend. I didn't get dressed Saturday. We finally finished Season One on....Tuesday. Brianna's supposedly getting season two in from Netflix, anyday now. Saturday and Sunday I think I also just re-watched all the Sylar bits and then listened to the commentaries. They were very informative! One of them spent a good part of the time going through the process of writing, casting, directing, shooting an episode. I loved it. And the other had Zachary Quinto and Sendhil Ramamurthy chatting, and that was way cute.

Sorry, I promised the Heroes talk would come later. So I won't even talk about Monday.

Started How I Met Your Mother, but I'm not impressed. Neil Patrick Harris is win, but maybe a little too...much. I'll at least finish the season.

Haven't caught up on this week's Fringe, but that's no big deal. My one fear is that it will become interesting/have that one mystery that I Must Know, and then I'll have to suffer through it week after week. Missed The Office premiere tonight due to going to The Music Man. Sam was in it! And Gareth. And many others. And Jake came to see it. He was happy that he'd be tagged all up in this more than once. It was way fun and cute and I don't regret missing the Office at all. There were a whole fleet of kids in it, too, and they were all very well-behaved. Hooray everyone, you were all great!

Been rounding up my crew, since the script is finally done. Now we need the monies, and to find locations and cast it and all that fun stuff. Megan wants to help cast, and I'm planning on sending some sort of casting call to the general APU acting base, hold auditions. Even though Music Man is going on, and A Few Good Men is coming up. But we have good actors here, and I want to use them.

Now I just have to mention Beth, and I can move on to Heroes. Alright.

If you are a person with no/limited Heroes knowledge, but plan to be, good night! (I'm lookin at you, Beth) Here be spoilers.

^^^^^^^^^^

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
or
Resistance is Futile
or
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World?

I don't know if you know, but I do appreciate the emo aesthetic. Doesn't mean that I subscribe to its worldview. What I mean is that Heroes is inherently fatalistic, and that bothers me. How many times are they going to see the future and see that it sucks and needs to be fixed before it happens? As far as I can tell, they saved that cheerleader. Seems to me they traded that timeline for something worse. Oh, fixed that. And now there's something even worse four years down the line. I know it's just to keep up conflict so their heroes have something to fight for, but come on. As Mr. Incredible would say, "sometimes you wish the world would just stay saved!"

So this is tentatively going to be my critical paper for Sci-Fi. Because these are my honest thoughts that I naturally had, no prompting. I was going to make this blog about my initial points (using textual references!) but I wrote three pages in my notebook, so I thought it would be better to truncate it for you all. What my point comes down to is this: Heroes' perspective on time is that even if you change things, the details might change, but the outcome is inevitable. That's what happened with Charlie. And as far as I can tell the bomb may not have destroyed New York, but it doesn't mean that the mutant-hunting, scarred-Peter future was averted.

In specifics about the season three opener, I found everyone to be very creepy. Why don't the Bennets turn on a light? Why is Nathan crazy? How the hell did Sylar get to California? Why does Future Peter still have that scar? Mama Petrelli freaked me out, and Mohinder honestly disgusts me now. I had to leave the room once.

I did love love love the Sylar/Claire exchange, even though I guess the writers don't care about keeping Claire an interesting/not whiny character. Sylar though, he just keeps getting better and better. Even if he may be someones hired gun now. Boo Mama Petrelli. And I do mean Mama. (btw, ?!?!?!?!!!!!!)

Oh, and also? It was Peter. Did I not tell you that right after we watched the season two end?

Overall, I find it met expectations. The writing was just as odd and awkward and exposition-based as it's always been, the plot is progressing at a forced pace, there were some cool things and some ridiculously stupid things. Pretty standard fare. But I'm still so head-over-heels fascinated with it, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why.

-Steph

No comments: