Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday and the Half-Blood Prince

Happy Thursday! I had stopped reading them at Goblet of Fire, and only this week read Order of the Phoenix for the first time (after having seen it for the first time the day or so before that) so I was quite surprised at the meaning of the title! I will start reading it tomorrow.

This Thursday seems prematurely short, seeing as I woke up with enough time to dodder about before work, which was at 1. Left work straight for the movie, which, incidentally, is just across the parking lot. Home a little after 7, jogged while watching a bit of THE OFFICE and SMALLVILLE, and basically here I am.

I got my free Star Trek shirt today! I sent Kellogg's my nine tokens (ten, just to be safe), and finally I gots my free shirt. It's red, which was the color for Ops personnel from 2265 to the 2270s. I'd be in Ops because I would be the navigator on a starship, and my quarters would be covered in old maps from many different planets. For away missions, I would cartogaph new worlds! That would be my dream job if I had Starfleet training.

I'm pretty certain that the only things I've done this week are read Order of the Phoenix and play FFVIII.

OH. One thing I forgot to tell you last week, even in the undestroyed version of the note, was that at the AX I picked up a new Greatest Hits copy of FFVIII for twenty bucks. I thought that was a good deal until I checked out Amazon just now. VII and VIII are out of print now, so their prices skyrocketed, and I'd always said my biggest regret was not buying VIII for the PS2. When it was new, I bought it for the PC for $40, lol. And I never beat it because playing on the PC was ridiculous and I didn't know enough about gaming when I started to really have a chance.

(see, now, a new original copy of VII at the AX was going for $200, while at the booth I bought my VIII it was less than that; new from Amazon it starts at $165.)

FFVIII was my first video game, probably after Pokemon Blue. I'd grown up watching my brother play previous installments (I can remember when he got II, VI, and VII: I hid at the top of the stairs watching Cloud dangle from a ledge instead of going to sleep that Christmas), but neither my brother or my cousin knew anything about VIII when I bought it. It's shocking to see now how much I was missing ten years ago, I've learned so much about the game play this week that I just didn't know about. How I made it into the third disc at all is beyond me!

FFVIII is my VOYAGER. It may not be my fave, but it's my first, so it has a special place where I don't have to judge it, I can just think on it with fond nostalgia. Playing it all the way through to the end is going to be great.

Although, this makes it three different Final Fantasies that I'm currently playing and have not defeated. One day, my pretties. One day.

We had an inexplicable excursion to Taco Bell yesterday. They had strange "work here!" signs as we entered, which depicted a leaping girl dissolving at the extremities into swirling rainbows bursting with music paraphernalia and tacos. Inside, we were pelted for the duration of our stay with unremarkable classical music. My mom ordered a burrito supreme, and I, the grilled stuft. We were given two burrito supremes. $1.99 for one of those, 3-something for what I wanted. She ordered another grilled stuft and we received another burrito supreme, this time costing 2-something. Exchanged that one for what I had wanted all along, which only reinforced my idea that going to Taco Bell should be carefully reconsidered.

Oh my gosh, this blog is so geeky today. I cannot, for the life of me, think of one hip thing I did this week.

-Ensign Stephanie Anderson

No comments: