Wednesday, July 01, 2009

It's that anime time of year again

Happy Thursday! I confess that as I write these words, it is not Thursday yet in the strictest sense. But if I have any hope of waking up tomorrow at 6 AM, I had best start writing now.

"Tomorrow" is Thursday, July 2nd, aka AX opening day. That's right, folks, the day when I put on a silly costume and parade around amongst similarly attired nerds fellows. This year our troupe is going primarily from Soul Eater, a show about kids who are weapons or their wielders, who go to a school to train for harvesting the souls of the corrupt. Hooray!

My name is Black Star, and I'm somewhat of a ninja, discounting the blue hair. My weapon partner is Tsubaki, whose weapon modes include little scythe things that have a proper name I don't know, a smoke bomb, a giant ninja star, and also a fey blade mode which makes Black Star crazy. Most people only have one or a mega form as weapons, but we're ninja so we're special.

I didn't get around to taking pictures of my chair, but I promise next week this thing will be FULL of pictures of all sorts.

I did a lot of sewing this week, mostly sewing is what I did. We also went and saw TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, which is pretty much like the first one, all the same pros and cons. If you like robots and explosions for two and a half hours, go see it!

There was a trailer for the new Harry Potter movie, too, and I was all "I wish I was excited about that." So we went and rented the first three movies and watched those. I hadn't ever seen the first! I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the fourth or fifth, either. After this anime ruckus is over, I'll be Harry Pottering.

Did I do anything else? OH LISTEN EVERYONE LISTEN.

There's a pilot going by the name of VIRTUALITY, and you can watch it here. It's a sci-fi drama co-written and co-produced by the mind behind the BSG reimaging, and it's one of the best things I've seen in my life. During this two hour pilot, I remarked aloud something along the lines of, "I'd be willing to watch the next ten seasons of this," referring to the plot's ten year mission to another solar system. Little did I know that NO ONE has plans to pick this up as a series, so as it stands, this two hour "movie" is all there ever will be of this concept.

THIS CAN NOT BE ALLOWED TO BE THE CASE. It's like when you hand a little kid a puppy, they fall in love with it, and then two hours later you grab it away and throw it into an ice-fishing hole. Or you get to go to Disneyland for the first time, and after two hours, the ghost of Walt Disney comes out of the castle and burns the place to the ground. It's like saving up all year to go to your favorite fancy restaurant, and after two hours of standing in line, the FDA guy comes up and closes it forever.

So I'm doing my part and creating what little buzz I can muster, and recommending this strongly to everyone who reads this. At least AT LEAST click on the link. You can also watch it here. Rarely has a pilot ever had such an impact on me, and with the decline of scripted television there's always the fear that there will never be another show of this caliber. I NEED it to continue. You do, too. You just don't know it.

VIRTUALITY. Tell your friends.

I can't think of any thing else superly exciting from this past week, and it is actually Thursday now, so I might just close this off now! Happy Thursday!

I'll bring you back something dorky from the expo!

-Stephanie

No comments: