Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lunam portare possum.

Happy Thursday! This week has been strange and exciting due to the fact that, thanks to external influences beyond my control, I have begun schooling myself in different subjects and referring to parts of my day as "class."

I have Latin in the morning. I am on chapter six, and have begun to translate full sentences. The strangest one so far has been "Servum e terra ad lunam equitare iubent" = "They order the slave to ride from the earth to the moon." But really, Latin seems to be a bit less complicated to learn than some of the others I've tried, and since there's no other alphabet to memorize, I like to think I've been making progress. Making flashcards tomorrow. Learn it with me!

After Latin I either go to work or have art class. Art class has been fuze beads, mostly, but I'm planning on returning to sewing one of these days. But first I'm going to make a Mario block and maybe 8-bit Mario. I've already made a bunch of geeky stuff, which you can see on Facebook. Today I tried making some Star Trek emblems that sorta don't work, and Captain Hammer's shirt logo, although it's a little unaccurate. My fave is the Watchmen smiley.

The class I have not been putting as much effort into is electronics. My dad brought home an "electronics learning lab" from Radio Shack, which is a little console for setting up circuits and seeing what switches and relays and potentiometers do. My goal is to build a radio. I checked out a book on repairing old radios, but it's a little specialized in its language. But I'm learning! It's one of those subjects that I need to absorb in coats. Splash a basic explanation on me, wait for it to dry, and then do it again until I know what you're talking about. I can do it!

The last subject I have really really been neglecting, since I haven't even pulled those books out of my bag yet. Cartography! Something I love in theory, but don't actually know one way or the other. I don't know how the books are yet, so I'll let you know how that's going once I really get started.

Other than that, I've been Harry Pottering it up--that's right, I should go back to the beginning. It all started at Jacqi's garage sale, which I helped put up signs for and did many illegal U-turns in the middle of Day Rd. Then I visited her and helped take the money from strangers and got the craziest sunburn ever and then took home many of her unsold books, like Hiroshima and Learn to Read Latin, and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. (I also took a dart board and a train book and a Twilight Zone reader and a Gameboy color and a skirt I'm going to make into a pillow and give back)

So that's how I got Latin and Harry Potter. It is, actually, a very good book, which is what everybody says. They are not wrong. There was one sentence that even made me tear up! I would say that the movie takes a much more artistic approach, or shall I say lyrical, even, with they way they show us the things that actually happen offscreen to Harry's world. I guess I mean, in relation to Draco's storyline. Seeing the movie and reading the book are like two halves to a full whole, they complement each other nicely, and it feels like I'm getting to see more than one side of the world in which these people inhabit. In other words, now I'm going to have to see the movie again.

Yesterday I was reading the TV guide because I thought it was EW (they've really beefed up their information delivery!), and had several freaks out about casting decisions in upcoming seasons of things. For instance, now I'm going to have to watch SMALLVILLE for Callum Blue. But it also informed me that the DOLLHOUSE season one was out on the 28th, so I popped out to get it. While I fished around at the Barnes & Noble I accidentally also was coerced to buy the DR. HORRIBLE DVD that was staring me in the face, so I did.

Commentary! The Musical is almost better than the show itself. NO JOKE. And the DOLLHOUSE unaired episode was strange and depressing, and I dunno how to feel about it, just like how I feel about the show at large. I don't even know if I'd watch season one again, lol. Oh dear, the things I do for this man. It's been a couple of Jossy days.

The only other thing I would like to comment on is my Blockbuster song. In Glendora, we got KROQ pretty good. So I would listen to that most days, or if STAR was being too rappy. I ended up hearing this one song a lot, and particularly when I was going to work. I believe it must be by the Offspring, but I really don't know. Anyway, this year we get KROQ in V-town, so I still listen to it. Two days in a row I heard it on the way--and--when I had to go in one day before it ended, it was magically playing the end of it when I left and drove home. It was like it had paused for me and I couldn't believe it.

That, or they play that song way too much.

-Steph

No comments: