Thursday, August 06, 2009

A Thursy sort of Day

Happy Thursday! Did you know that Wolfmother and Billy Idol were in my top five most listened artists this week? Don't worry, Linkin Park was in the top ten! Spellcheck is not fond of "linkin."

I abandoned my studies this week as there were friends abound in my vicinity. Carolyn's back from her journeys and Jacqi brought Greg along to play. I would say the thing I did most this week was watch movies I'd already seen, followed closely by driving to the wrong place.

Saturday was home to a grand adventure indeed, as I spirited Carolyn away to the elusive Hunting STATE beach to frolic with Sam and Jake and various others. First we went to Bolsa Chica State Beach! Took over two hours, maybe three, to get there, a half hour line to get into the parking lot, and a half hour to realize it was the wrong place.

Back to the car!

More driv driving gets us to Huntington Beach. "Are you before the pier or after it?" I ask Sam. Sam says "what pier?" "Did you pass Twin Dolphins street?" "LOL whut. Look for Brookhurst."

More driv dravving and finally we see signs for the State beach, but it's another twenty minutes in the right turn lane before we're even sure if the street sign up ahead says Brookhurst. Luckily, it does. (we ignored the sign that said "Brookhurst <-- 4 miles")

But we made it, sat around for a bit and watched some people bury their super sad baby in the sand. Then we went to go to the Crab Cooker (which I took a picture of, when we went to Newport) but the line was too long, so we decided to find somewhere else.

We got separated, the boys pulled in at a donut place while I missed the turn and circled the block -- I spotted a "Santa Monica Seafood" in the detour, which we went to after the donut place turned out to be wonderfully terrifying -- Carolyn spotted a sushi place the other direction at the turn to the seafood place, which we went to after finding the seafood place to be a fish market.

So we had sushi after a delightfully illegal left turn. A crazy day, but worth it, I think. I'm trying to get Sam and Jake to come over for the fair. And Beth. And Megan. The fair's on right now! No time to waste!

Speaking of the fair, I entered two pillows, two stories, and a funny shaped lemon. Out of this lot, I'm sure I'm going to win the class for lemon, and the five dollars that comes with it. Gotta go and find out!

Jacqi and Greg and Carolyn and I went and saw HARRY POTTER again. I still liked it, and I feel pretty much the same about it as I did before. "Lyrical" is still the term I'm applying to its cinematography, but this time I realize it's in large part due to the haunting score that very tastefully augments the emotional moments. Beautiful.

We rented a bunch of movies, watched 28 DAYS LATER and RESIDENT EVIL. Hadn't seen the first, but it was a little arty for me. Res Evil was hard to hear. Today Greg and Jacqi were AWOL so we just watched TWILIGHT, which Carolyn hadn't seen. Second time through really highlights the nonsense of it all. I had originally boggled at how quickly these people arrived in Arizona from Washington state, but this time I caught the fact that they jumped from one place to the other in no more than forty-five minutes. And I'm pretty sure the first guy did it in five. If you have a better explanation than "they're vampires," I'll gladly hear it.

I know intellectually that we've hung out for four chronological days, but I've only recounted events from two or three different ones. Oh, right. Movie day was yesterday, day before was Harry Potter and also Happy Hour. The peach margarita was the best, the melon the worst.

Well, Happy Thursday to you all, I'm off to write about vampires. That's where the money's at.

-Stephanie

No comments: