Thursday, November 12, 2009

Twilit

Happy Thursday! I went to sleep at like two or three last night, because I was playing a dumb computer game. This is relevant to the story I'm about to tell.

So I wake up, wide awake, because I hear other people awake in the house and it's light outside. I look at the clock. 6:58! I'm entirely sure that I needed to be at work at 5:30. It's now 7. I'm an hour and a half late. Why didn't someone wake me up?! Why didn't they call?? This is like my worst nightmare.

I'm actually sitting up and getting out of bed, frantic, when I stop and think about it. Where am I? What day is it? Yes, yes it's Thursday. But...what happened to the rest of it? Is it, in fact, 6:59...AM?

Yes. Yes it is.

I think it was because I'd only been asleep for like four hours, and it was a sort of dusk/dawn light so it felt like I'd decided to take a lovely afternoon nap that spun horribly out of control. It was a crazy experience. I had just dis-remembered the facts from before falling asleep, and made up new ones.

Incidentally, 7 PM is pitch black.

After sleeping off that minor freakout, I went to the post office, and I went to the store. And then I came home and spent the day watching a chick flick! While baking cookies! While wearing an apron I made by hand!! Welcome to... the Twilight Zone.

THE PROPOSAL is a movie that underwhelms. The trailers in the store finally swayed me, and I picked it up, and it was alright for a watching-while-you-bake movie. Entirely forgettable. I didn't hate it, and I didn't love it. It just was.

The first batch of cookies is a failure. The failure began when I opened the can of almond filling and, by looking at it, had a sinking realization that almond filling is not the same as almond paste. I TRIED IT ANYWAY. And then I didn't grease the sheet, so the first batch was useless. And the subsequent batches are chewy to the point of ridiculousness. Next time, almond paste. Almond paste FTW.

Second cookies were chocolate chip cookies, only with cocoa in the dough and with snapped off bits of Andes instead of chocolate chips. So I guess they're almost, but not quite, entirely unlike chocolate chip cookies. These came out as a win, but they are a bit dry, I think because of the added cocoa. Could have used another box of Andes, too.

And then I went to work, which is playing STAR TREK on the blu-ray player. I made up an award for it. The Best Worst Movie Ever. Because, honestly, the more I think about that plot, about the events and situations they present for my amusement, the more I hate it. I hate that script, and I hate the story. I hate what they want me to accept, especially in terms of science. But every other part of the filmmaking, from the casting to acting to special effects, I love it. In those regards, it's a great movie. Best Worst Movie Ever. Comes out on DVD and blu-ray Tuesday. Don't miss it!

My week has been spent writing and working, although I missed two days of writing which I will try to catch up on right after this. The sewing, the baking, it's part of a pattern. It's when there's something I know I have to do, so I say, oh, I'll start that right after this! And then I sew an apron instead of write 1667 words. Even when it's something I want to do, and something no one is forcing me to do, I guess the pattern still applies. But hey, I've still got two and a half weeks left, and I'm sure I'll finish! Hooray, literature!

The game Borderlands also came out, and when two of my shift leaders were discussing it, I had no idea what they were talking about. But then Carolyn got it, and we've been playing co-op, and it's not an exaggeration that we plan on spending all of tomorrow playing it. I know everyone (in the gaming community) is going on about the new Call of Duty, but serious, you need to stop caring about that and play Borderlands instead. You can level up! And that's what really counts.

Oh, the third Twilight mention, to fully justify the title there. We have not one, not two, but three separate locations dedicated to Twilight in our store. Calendars! Soundtracks! The Book! The movie! The movie, 2-disc! Twilight-themed Sweethearts! A fleece blanket! Pillows with Edward's face on one side and Jacob on the other!!!!!!! THIS HAS GOT TO STOP.

>:[

Oh, sad and unrelated news: Fox has canceled DOLLHOUSE for realz. They're gonna run the 13 episodes they ordered, and that's gonna be it. When that runs out, it will mark the beginning of my hopefully life-long boycott of Fox programming. Maybe you'll join me.

Alright, you may now carry on with your lives.

-Steph

No comments: