Thursday, January 14, 2010

Early Thursday

Happy Thursday! I hope it's happier for you than it is for me, or at least that mine will only get better. Cupcakes are in the works, so I think there's a chance.

A couple lovely emails greeted me this morning, the first being "ty 4 teh monies" and the second being "o hai we noticed somfin suspishus ur welcom - Paypal."

DON'T WORRY. Paypal has it UNDER CONTROL. Or in any case "UNDER INVESTIGATION."

:< My monies....


And now for something completely different.


My favorite Beatles album right now is Revolver. Before that it was Rubber Soul and before that, Help! But right now it's Revolver, and I'll tell you why.

The first thing that strikes me is how just plain musical it is. It's heavier and more stylized than the early 50's influenced stuff, but not yet too heavy like the later Abbey Road stuff. You've got that intense string backing in "Eleanor Rigby" going into the backwards guitar solos in "I'm Only Sleeping" going into the sitar and accompanying Indian influence in "Love You To" and so on.

And even that opening selection showcases the diverse musical ability of each individual, yet the seemingly disparate themes and styles only tie it all together in an album that is so distinctively The Beatles. And you've got Ringo's mad skillz in "She Said She Said;" his sweet and simple vocals in the classic "Yellow Submarine," where he cracks one note (the last "sub"marine in the last verse) that makes my heart go to pudding every time.

And George's burgeoning love for Indian music of course in the song previously mentioned, continuing to dash a little color onto his band's legacy. But I can't get over his lead guitar, the sound of which is, to me at least, just as iconic as the vocal blend.

John's got his psychedelic on, in "Tomorrow Never Knows" and, more to the point, "She Said She Said," the lyrics of which come from a conversation they had with Peter Fonda whilst congregating in a bathtub whilst trippin' pretty heavily on acid.

And even McCartney busts out all the stops, "Eleanor Rigby" probably among the top tier of best Beatles' songs. "Good Day Sunshine" is also a delightful pick-me-up, but the high point for me in his case is "For No One" where he slings his voice around in such a way that always makes me wonder why I don't love him more.

Cons on the album are: "Taxman." Sorry, George, I know you don't get a lot of credit, but this song is not quite up to par with the rest of the pack. I feel like it would be a lot more comfortable on the previous album, Rubber Soul, only in terms of musical accomplishment.

Similarly, John's "Doctor Robert" is a half step down from the rest, too. And content-wise, it makes me do a big IDK.

Least favorite is McCartney's "Here, There, and Everywhere," which oddly was his contemporaries' favorite track on the album. It's just a little too...too. It's soul-sequel is undoubtedly "Martha My Dear," a song about the McCartney sheepdog, Martha.

So it's a good, solid album, and you should check it out!

On a related note (and pun), I'm looking into getting a bass guitar. You may be surprised to know that I used to have one! But, sadly, I was a fool and maybe played it four times ever. But now I want one again, and I will learn it and be in a band! The biggest fool to ever hit the big time.

Okay, that's my review, I'm going to go to Target and get stuff to make cupcakes with. And later I'mma go shoot zombies with Carolyn! The day is already looking up.

-Steph

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie -

A very insightful review of the Revolver album. You make me want to return and listen more carefully. It does seem like the beginning of the more creative work - beginning to stray from the formula rock-n-roll (although the Beatles even rendered that in their unique fresh way).

You wrote: "And even that opening selection showcases the diverse musical ability of each individual, yet the seemingly disparaging themes and styles only tie it all together. . ."

Did you mean to use the word "disparate" instead of "disparaging"?

Just wondering. . .

DAD

Stephanie Anderson said...

Thanks! You should totally listen to it because it's great. It's probably floating somewhere in my room.

Haha and I very much meant "disparate." Sometimes I just type crazy things. I fixed it.