Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blog, then sleep

Happy Thursday! Guess who is going to bed in like five minutes! It's me! Guess who has a real-life weekend coming up! It's meeee! So school started this week! Getting up at 6:30 is like... who am I anymore. Get an hour for lunch, and that's a great time for naps. Leave at 4, come home and play video games until the sleep time. It's not bad.

The first couple of days I learned how to do stuff in DOS. So if you ever need to make a bootable floppy disk or, say, create a batch file, I can do that for you. It's all typing, like a typing game, and I love keyboard commands and all that, so it's actually pretty fun if you know what you're doing. Not going to use it in everyday life, but it'll come up.

So they say. It's at your own pace style classwork, right? So I've got two weeks to master DOS (done) and read chapters 1-5. After slogging through chapter 1 and trying to do the homework and realizing I still didn't know half the answers, I got pretty down. I generally don't absorb information the first time through, at least not so that it'll stick. So I said, you gotta read this twice anyway, so just take the pressure off and just read it for the abstract information.

So I spent the last two days just reading through chapter five. Then I went back to chapter one, read through the homework questions, noted which ones I had no clue about, and then set in to take notes. Re-reading and transcribing, lodged a bit more knowledge in there. This is working.

 Got through chapters 1 and 2, started chapter 3. So I'd say I've got two or three days more work ahead of me to grasp all this stuff, which puts me at at least three days ahead of schedule.

So that's the plan. I guess after this software book there's a hardware book, and there may be other books, and there are projects on the computers in different areas and about different tasks. But that's my strategy for right now, and I'm a student again.

 I got this. -Steph

No comments: