Thursday, April 27, 2006

Don't Sit With Your Laptop On The Floor For Ten Hours

So, after class ended yesterday at two, I made it back to my hall but ended up plopping down into Aubrey and Laura's room, because it's only three doors in, instead of three from the end like mine. "I feel like making a movie," I said, "I'll be right back, I'm getting my camera."

So I did.

I brought my cute duck, the Sacred, the cactus carving, and a tin of mints. Because they're all around the duck's size, and he's the one thing I most want to make a stop-action movie with. So I made one of him just rolling around in a circle, but it was jumpy and really not so great.

Then I pulled out the cherry coke bottle and the apple from lunch (because my backpack never made it to my room) and lined everyone up. Then they danced.

But there are no narrative qualities in these 12-second animations. There is no plot, no purpose.

Then I see the two oranges in the room. Plus my apple...plus a stack of some plastic necklaces of Laura's........

Fifteen minutes later I've filmed it all. Fifteen minutes after that I've got it imported into my comp. Half an hour or so of editing and I have 40 seconds of completed movie. Then they haul us off to dinner. After that, I edit the fifteen minutes of footage down to a minute and 14 seconds. Not even the minute and a half I predicted. I spend the next while adding sound effects. Laura goes away to hang out with some people. Aubrey goes away to class.

Two hours later, when she comes back, I'm still sitting in the middle of their room, but by now I've polished the sounds and animation, and struggled through Nero's DVD menu set-up, and am watching the progress bars as I burn a DVD of the new movie and some old ones sitting on my comp.

35 minutes remaining, it said when it started. It took 51.

So after all of this, it's 5 to 12, because Courtney said if I finished it by then, she'd see it. By the time I finish carting all my junk out of Aubrey and Laura's room, I have spent ten hours in there.

The moral of this story is that if you sit/hang out on the ground for 10 hours, you WILL be very sore the next day. Or, at least you will if you're me.

The second moral isn't a moral, it's a link to the finished movie on YouTube:
The Orange Supremacy

In other news, I took my Chem final today, and I think I did alright. No more Chem ever! It's crazy that next week is finals and then it's summer. @@

Next year, I will be taking: Film and Video Production (heeee), Mass Communication, Creative Writing: Stage and Screen, Japanese, and Church History to 1517. Also, we did get a mod (A7, closest to campus, facing the baseball field), for people who know what that means. For everyone else, the mods are a big group of "temporary housing" built way back when for married couples, and now they're sophomore-only. They're like little houses. And, as my brother says: "the mods are very nice in their own quaint, run-down way." Yeah, me and my roommates scored.

Well, that's all for this week, I hope you all enjoy your new moon tonight.
Happy Thursday!!!!
-Steph

No comments: