Thursday, December 27, 2007

San Diego Thursday!

Happy Thursday! I am so very tired! I have pictures but I'm too tired to find my camera and plug it in and copy the pictures and look at them and then try to fit them into here. Maybe later.

Order of business:
Weekend.
Christmas.
San Diego.

Oh gosh, I don't remember the weekend anymore. I guess one of those days.....Friday? I went to Carolyn's house 'cause Steven was having some sort of party with all his tiny friends. They watched Hot Fuzz in the freezing outside, and me and Carolyn watched Acacia, a pretty bad Korean horror movie. And then I went back the next day and watched Hot Fuzz with her. I think that's how it went down. I'm almost entirely positive about this.

Sunday I guess I just played FFXII all day. I'm soooo close to being done, plot-wise (I've had it for a year, after all), but I'm sticking it out to finish all the side quests because the world is so great and vast and I know I won't have the energy to do it all ever again. Also, church that day.

Monday we baked. Michelle made pumpkin cookies, mom I guess did some breads, I made an apple pie and maple cookies. I put waaaay too much flower in the apples this time, and I need to NOT cut them so thin! But the crust turned out rather well, so I'm keeping my new adaptations for that. I also remember looking up trivia for things I am a fan of, and writing a very very strange bit of Kingdom Hearts/Naruto fanfiction.


Christmas!
Got everything wrapped more or less on time, but my sister's awesome present didn't show up. I suppose it's waiting for us back home, unless someone's stolen it off the porch.

I got lots of neat stuff, like the stuff I picked out, like the special editions of Hot Fuzz and Hairspray; but I also got cool surprises like the Batman steering wheel cover I've always wanted, and a TV! So thanks, everybody!

Later my uncle and aunt came over and brought their cute dog and we had a nice lunch of Christmas fashion. And then we had a nice walk around the park, aaand then most of us had a nap. Hooray. And I guess I made them watch Hairspray.

And then the next day we went to San Diego!

Well, first, we went to school and cleaned my apartment and like moved the TV in there and stuff. (It looks like I'm only getting one new roommate, and we've been talking on Facebook and she's totally cool) And Then we went to Taco King and then San Diego.

The terrain right before the incorporated cities start (when I woke up) is like a vast, flat, undeveloped Ventura. That's what I like about California, you can always tell when you're in it. I love me my So Cal scrub brush. And the ocean was right there and there were rivers and bays and all sorts of nice things. And we passed Oceanside and I waved to Megan, who resides thereabouts.

San Diego itself is like the small-town Ventura meets the classy/vast Santa Barbara. It sprawls pretty dang wide, as far as I can tell, but there's these tiny rolling hills all about, and freeways and stuff, but it doesn't feel crowded. And the downtown has these cool tall buildings but there's still a lot of space. Not like San Francisco, where you can't see what the weather's like up there. And not like LA; it seems really clean and nice, and not cheesy like say Hollywood, either. I suppose that's just what the touristy bits look like, though.

We went on this narrated trolley (just like school, eh guys?) that took us around the downtown area. But the first stop was at the harbor, so we got off and wandered around and then got on this Seal Tours which drove us around some more and then into the harbor. Remember the Duck Tour we went on in Boston? It was like that. But a seal. With Captain Mark and Tosh. It was SUPER cold, especially out on the water, but it was really neat. We saw sea lions and also a hover craft. Tosh was all "sorry for geeking out about it," but apparently it's really rare to "see one in action" on the harbor.

And then we went inside to lunch before I froze to death. And then we went back on the trolley and took it to um, what is it.... C...Coronado? Wich is an island and a city right off from San Diego. Giant bridge to it. Could see Mexico from it. And then around the island and back off, and then through a bit of Balboa Park which is where the zoo and a lot of other stuff is, and then back to Old Town, which is where we got off and also it was night now.

Old Town is where the city was before it became a city, and it's got tiny buildings for your touristing pleasure. Bought a tin star light at the TinSmith store, a Thursday poncho (Brown and Red!!) at some other store, and a two-dollar cactus at yet another. Went over to the, uh, Waverly? House. Supposedly haunted. The, what do you call it, curator? This youngish guy was so funny, in a really bored sort of way. It wasn't scary and I didn't see the doll's eyes move or anything. Took some pictures, though. Maybe when I upload them I'll see the ghosts.

Randomly went to Mimi's for desert, and then crashed back here. My sister and I were going to watch Hot Fuzz (she hasn't seen it), but I got to writing (back to my new roommate, on peoples' walls, this) and I think she's more or less asleep now. As am I, for that matter. I don't know where I got the energy to write all this. Hope it was interesting.

Tomorrow I think we're headed for TJ. I brought my passport but I hope they take it because it went through the was a few years ago and totally looks fake. I really don't want to get stuck in Mexico. But I hope I'll find a little sombrero for Riko; I've been looking for one of those for years.

-Steph

No comments: