Thursday, October 16, 2008

Battlefront

Happy Thursday! Let me tell you about my lovely food times.

Apparently when I get stressed out, I think about making foods. The other day, I was sitting in class, and I was like, man, I really want some drumsticks. Like the chicken kind. So I said, where can I get those? I'll make 'em. I'll go to the store and get some chicken legs and some shake 'n bake, and make food! So I did. And I was like, what can I eat with that? Mashed potatoes? But no, I still have twenty boxes of rice and couscous at home. I'll make that. Whaaat else? Some spinach and pine nuts!! Except the store didn't have spinach, not fresh. So I bought some baby bok choy.

Let me make a new paragraph. The bok choy I chopped up with a carrot and sauteed them with a garlic, and tossed in some pine nuts near the end so they didn't burn. It made enough vegetables for one! And the chicken took 45 minutes, the rice 25, and the vegetables about 10, so everything was done at the same time. It was kind of cool. I shared my chickens, and ended up with two drumsticks and a bucket of rice for lunch the next day. I was kinda proud of myself.

And while I was shopping for the chicken, I picked up a thing of romaine lettuce and something else, planning a chicken salad from the delicious frozen chicken pieces I had already. I made that today, since I had time, and it was sooo good. It goes like this.

I took about four or five leaves of the romaine, sliced them up. A thing of celery. The last of my orange grape tomatoes. Some walnuts I bought for the curry chicken salad. Salt, pepper. The chicken I microwaved. Some balsamic vinaigrette. Oh, and some feta I had left over, too. I don't really like straight feta, just like I don't like straight dark lettuces, but mixed with other things I am a fan. And on the side I had some strawberries I bought on the aforementioned shopping trip, and some graham crackers I bought on a lunch break last week. The strawberries + graham crackers? Perfection. I want to make little strawberry pies with graham cracker crusts. Or oreo crusts, I think that would also work so well.

What I like the most about cooking for myself is that it turns out well. I literally learned cooking from foodnetwork, and every time I imagine food, and then I make it, and it tastes like food, I am happy. Don't need recipes, just imagination! Although I would like to have some of the recipes from home, like the one for maple cookies. The apple pie one I have saved on my computer, and I already bought the vinegar for the crust. I just wish I had the time to make a pie.

Oh, the other thing I like about cooking (especially the salad today), is that there's nothing unhealthy about it. For the prepackaged things, like the rice and the frozen chicken, I'm sure there's some preservatives or a high sodium content, but there's nothing really about it that you'd be like, wow, that's gonna give me a heart attack. I especially liked the salad because there was so many different sources of things, like nuts and cheese as well as, you know, vegetables. I think the problem with people eating vegetables is that often you're faced with the vegetables that you're not fond of, and they're prepared weird. Cooking for myself, I only buy the ones I know I like, and I cook them to how I like them.

Eating vegetables is important.

These meals, though, I'm not sure how efficient they are on cost. They're leaning towards the gourmet, so the individual costs of ingredients add up. Walnuts, for example, or pine nuts, or anything in the nut family, don't run cheap. And feta and strawberries. But I stretch them, and that's another plus for mixing ingredients, if you use a small amount of a lot of things, you have more of each for longer.

What's worrying me right now is the red bar across the top of the screen saying ERROR, and the little Autosave failed. down at the bottom. I hope I'll fix that before midnight.

So my sister turned like 20 yesterday! Or two days ago, since she's in Paris and it's Friday now. I didn't get her anything. :< More accurately, I did get her something, but I didn't finish the personal touches and stuff, so I didn't send it. But I will! Ohh how I will.

And little Melody just turned......five on Tuesday. Hurrah! I didn't get her anything, either. :< I am so out of touch. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow and make up for it. XD Happy Birthday little one!

So we're shooting next weekend. I'm not going to think about that right now.

Had a midterm in Sci-Fi class today, but c'mon, it's Sci-Fi class. I had to match things like "Who created Star Trek" and "Who hated anti-technicism." (Gene Roddenberry and H.G. Wells)

Sound Design was canceled today, which I found out right before I left, which was great. I'd come back home because the midterm let out early so I had an hour in between. I always get a headache during that class, but I still got it today. Quite weird.

Work's been fine. I work mostly with this guy named Kevin, and he's cool. And I discovered the shuttle van back from the West parking lot, so I don't have to walk back at midnight anymore. Although I took it last night and when I tried to drive to class today my car wasn't here, and so I was pretty late. :< But I had the boom mic with me, for Sound Design, and my prof made an inappropriate comment about it, because he shockingly can't restrain himself. I stared at him in disbelief, but he didn't see me.

The Office was good tonight. I disliked/felt uncomfortable about the things that were happening between the two couples, and then both situations ended on a good note and my heart was happy.

Chuck is still fantastic, I'm still quite surprised. I hope it sticks. They are doing it right.

Heroes, now that's the same as always. Which is both comforting and sad. Whereas I'm pleasantly surprised that Chuck has pulled itself together and is succeeding in a way few shows do, Hereos seems to be content with plodding along at the same level of competency they exhibited in the pilot. So three fourths of the episode is rather mundane, one eighth is awful, and one eighth is freaking outstanding. This is starting to get maddening. But I just. can't. stop. watching.

Beth is almost caught up. One more disc of season two.

Sam and Gareth came over today, and we all watched the Office. Except Brianna, 'cause she doesn't understand comedy. My parents might/are coming to visit me on Saturday!

Also, Bowie died. We have a new pet, the one-legged monster cricket he didn't eat. I call it The Mariner. The Mariner might be dead, too.

Drive Safe,

-Steph

No comments: