Thursday, September 22, 2011

Goin to the fair

Happy Thursday! I'm sooo tired. Ready to go to sleep like, this very moment. Just watch me.

I've never been to the LA County Fair, but for some reason I thought, this year is the year. Then I thought I wouldn't have time, but then Carolyn asked when my next day off was and if I wanted to go?

So that was our today. Geez, that place is huge. Probably could fit our fair in there like three times. They had way more places to buy stuff, but it was mostly the same stuff over and over again. They didn't seem to have any community stuff, like stuff you get ribbons for, but they did have dinosaurs.

I pet like more goats than I ever dreamed I would pet. I didn't get to pet the donkey or the mule, which was sad. We didn't pay the one dollar to see the "is this the world's smallest horse (not a pony)" because the space was so small it probably was fake or dead. There was an albino wallaby, WHERE'S MY ALBINO WALLABY, VENTURA COUNTY FAIR?? just hanging out in a fenced off area. There were sharks.

Ummmm we each bought a fifteen dollar chicken kabob+fries+drink. The only other fair thing I ate was a strawberry/banana/nutella crepe. $8.50.

The kids building was also a science building, and had the only things that got ribbons, which was kids' art. There was some funny stuff like ours, like a MSPaint dog in a vortex; some great stuff like Batman Beyond Batman and Jim Morrison; some inexplicable stuff like a display case labeled "Scientists" full of sock people dressed up with badly cut felt pieces and yarn to look like Benjamin Franklin, Mrs. Frizzle, and a "Mars Robot Princess" which looked much more like Stephen Hawking.

But the best part of the science room was when Carolyn did a double take and said, "that cake is a lie." And sure enough, in the "science kitchen" there was a chocolate-flaked cake with cherries on top. We were torn as to whether it was on purpose, or, perhaps, maybe that's just what cakes look like? Until we made it to the other side of the room, where, right in front of our eyes, was a wall with an orange portal cut into the side, a Companion Cube sitting nearby. So that was pretty awesome.

The other cool thing was a Native American hoop dance that we saw in a "wild west show." Oh, here he is on the internet. Probably worth the price of sitting through the rest of the show.

So let's see, Pros: accessibility of goats. Cons: Huge. I think I just need to go to more fairs and see what they're really all about.

Since I actually had two days off this week, I spent the other one watch Lion King in theaters. I don't think I actually saw it on the big screen the first time, so it was very exciting. There were only like, ten other people in there, maybe half of that was kids. The colors were very sharp and the lions were very big. It's still one of my favorite movies of all time.

It was also my dad's birthday on Tuesday! Happy birthday, buddy! We went to Outback and it smells real good in there. I downloaded this whole program, The Mechanical Universe, which I watched on laserdisc back in high school physics. My dad really likes all that stuff, and I'm more than a little interested in it, so that's gonna be something we can watch together some time. It's from 1985, though, so it's also pretty funny.

Well I'm going to go never walk again for a little while. See you next time!

-Steph

No comments: