Thursday, September 08, 2011

Terra

Happy Thursday! I could have sworn I had a snappy title for this one, but I forgotted it. Whoops.

So, to emphasize my weather/weather response dilemma, today was like the third or fourth day in the high 70s/80s, and I got a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. I remembered today that when I was working at Vons, I had to crank up the AC right away just to be able to touch the steering wheel without burning my finger prints off. These last three summers, including this one, I don't think that's ever been necessary.

Global warming is somehow to blame, I'm sure of it.

I haven't been able to fully enjoy this late blooming summer because I've been cooped up at work all day. Which isn't actually too bad, because this is a crazy good amount of hours. But it's really hectic and bizarre, we're having to think about a million new things at once. When I'm done I just sort of want to huddle in a corner by myself for a while.

I mean, drop by! We'd love to see you.

So you may have heard about my disk errors? Fixed it by going to Fry's and picking up at 2TB Barracuda for like 70 bucks. Got it running Windows 7 -- goodbyyyyyye Vista! Also picked up a wireless keyboard that has a trackpad, which is pretty sweet. Just noticed today, though, that there's no light for capslock, which is sort of inexplicable. Trial and error, then.

Thanks, Dad, for my new set up!

I've been eating home made falafel pitas all week. Over the weekend I made some hummus, and then on Monday I think I had a go at falafels. They turned out pretty good. In the pita with the hummus and tzatziki and tahini and all that they were kinda overpowered, but the combined flavor attack was spectacular. Have I ever told you how easy tzatziki is to make? Here it is:

Two cup jug of Greek yogurt
three cloves garlic, minced
half an English cucumber, peeled, minced
squeezings from half a lemon
1 TB olive oil

stir. eat that now. it's so good. put it on everything. I mean, I did it like that just from memory, and it's just, exactly right. Try it and see. I recommend a slap chop or similar device for the garlic and cucumber.

The hummus and falafel need a little perfecting, but these are things I'm perfectly willing to make over and over. Like cakes.

Speaking of, almost, we've got a pumpkin growing in the backyard. It was a mystery vine, but now it is oh-so definitely a pump-pumpking. Still green, just a dusting of yellow across the top. I can't wait until I get to rip him open and turn his insides into good eats. There don't seem to be any others growing on that vine, but it keeps putting out flowers so hopefully some more will take. At the rate they grow, it'll keep me in pumpkins through the holiday season. There's also two or three more sproutlings coming up where we dumped the compost out, so maybe those will turn out to be pumpkins, too.

Well, I'm off to watch a movie and/or youtube. Peace off!

-Steph

PS my "new" computer's name is Terra. For terabyte.

No comments: