Thursday, May 03, 2007

Halfway done?

HAPPY THURSDAY.

I'm a junior in college now. Actually, I have been this whole last semester, from credits, but now I am year-wise. Huzzah.

The most exciting thing that happened today was that I went on line and found that Dr. Creasman had graded our final papers. This would be the paper I wrote on the Office, which I saw I mentioned last week. Probably because I'd just finished writing it the day before. AND. I got 95/100!!! Which excited me first. THEN. I read his comments:


STEPHANIE- THIS IS A DELIGHTFUL PAPER—FUN TO READ AND IT HAS AN ACADEMIC EDGE TO IT. VERY NICELY DONE. I KNEW THIS WOULD BE A STRONG PAPER WHEN YOU PRESENTED ON IT IN CLASS. GOOD JOB. GOOD ACADEMIC SOURCES. YOU HAVE A FEW TINY SPELLING ERRORS AND OMISSIONS AND COULD PROBABLY EXPAND YOUR FAITH/SPIRITUAL IMPLICATIONS TO A FULL PARAGRAPH. BUT, THOSE ARE MINOR QUIBBLES IN AN OTHERWISE STRONG PAPER. P.S. CAN I USE THIS AS A MODEL FOR OTHER/FUTURE CLASSES? I WANT TO GIVE THEM A STUDENT-AUTHORED EXAMPLE TO SHOW THEM HOW TO DO IT RIGHT.


Like, dude. I told you that one of the academic sources was an article on the X-Files, right? Overall, I'm just thrilled.

Grade-wise, I see myself getting a B+ in that class. Possssssibly an A- if he is blind and doesn't see how awful my final essays were. The final was essays (which I know are ... just bad), and like the easiest multiple choice test ever. So if the multiple choice bit was weighted more than the essays, I'll say I have a A-.
Japanese: A. For sure.
Clay class: Not sure. A, probably.
Jesus class: A, shoot.
Film/Lit: ehhhhh, probably an A...-.

Our little house had one last splurge of bonding this last week. Monday was family dinner--we tried to go to Mediterranean, but the one place was like probably full of gangsters, and the other place was Coming Soon! So we went across the street to Dai Shogun, the cute little Japanese place my brother introduced me to. And Megan had never had Japanese food! Only sushi, she said. It was fun and cute, and the lady took our picture.

And then Tuesday was family lunch, and I made chicken curry for us all, and it was a hit. It's one of my new favorite things to eat. And it's hecka cheap, too.

Oh, and television was top class this week, too. Raines was not spectacular, but it almost made me cry. Veronica Mars is back (urg, finally!) and it was not spectacular, either, but the end made me roll around on the floor screaming and having little spasms. It was just so beautiful. Side note, how cool is it that two of my new most favorite shows are detective/mystery shows on at the same time? I think that's crazy cool. Lost was really intense, and I almost cried at Sawyer 'cause he reminded me of Ryan, who's my baby. For clarification: http://www.geocities.com/runrunhoshi/index.html . Here's rooting for a spectacular Office tonight and a rocking Raines tomorrow.

Ah, good, I unwittingly gave myself a segue for what I really wanted to talk about this week. Mysteries. I'm going to write one, because I never have before and yet they rank high in my list of genres to adore. A well written mystery is worth more than a bundle of sticks, in my book. So here's my proposition:

The Summer Project
In a gray world, one man is brave enough to wear brown.
Rusty Thursday, Private Investigator, is on the case. He seeks justice, and the truth.
Coming this summer to a Thursday near you.

What do you say to, this summer, a Thursday-sponsored side project of weekly installments of a mystery story you have a say in? I'll write a new bit every week, and it'll last all summer, until the culprit is caught. I'll set up a separate website for it, where every week's chapter will be posted, and there will be outlets for comments and discussion among the readers. And since I'm your bud and not some Hollywood exec, your comments and discussion will be heard! Y'know, it'd just be something fun and interesting to look forward to each week besides the standard journal entry. And you know how dull they got last summer (although one can blame Vons). I'm up for it, if there's an interest in it.

Right now I'm thinking that the crime is sabotage, and the Reds are involved. But, as we all know, Communism could just be a red herring.

Happiest Summer Thursday to you all,
-Steph

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You said Hecka.

Unknown said...

I love our family. You forgot to talk about how we went to Japanese food after wanting to go to a very sketch Mediterranean restaurant, but it was closed. SO we argued for a half hour if we should go to Japanese or Italian where we finally (after some many very indecisive moments) decided that we were going to go to Japanese and it was HECKA tight and the food was so FREAKIN' good. (hey, look at me, I am a valley.)

Anonymous said...

Count me in for installments of Rusty Thursday!